Welcome to Healthy Cooking 101

Khadiza Zarina a junior health administration major, stirs sauce for the elote for the Healthy Cooking 101 class. Zarina said she was excited to come in and cook especially because they were meatless tacos Tuesday evening in Klehm Hall. (Ashanti Thomas)

Somethings cooking in Klehm hall on Tuesday with healthy cooking 101, 18 students signed up for an experience with meat less cooking and nutrition for the first event of the semester.

Haley Sanders, a master student in nutrition and dietary, presented at the event in hopes to give students a chance to learn how to cook and get their protein in while on a busy schedule.

“Get people excited for healthy nutrition, some people do not know how to cook themselves or have the resources to do so,” Sanders said. “[The Health Education Resource Center] put on these hands on experiences for students to learn, available for all students regardless of major.”

The event contained two recipes and a presentation about how protein is important, along with how it is not just located in meat. There are other ways of getting protein from vegetables, fruits, grains, nuts and seeds.

The HERC program puts on helpful at home cooking events to promote healthy eating and nutrition for students who might not have experiences in the kitchen. Getting students out of their dorms along with having a chance to learn how to cook and take that knowledge’s into their future when they have a kitchen of their own.

Students enjoyed their own hands-on experiences of cooking.

Aylssa Herald, a junior nutrition and dietary major, attended the events with previous expedites and the passion for cooking.

“I love cooking and miss cooking, living in a dorm, I do not get a chance to be in a kitchen often, this gives me a chance to get experiences in a kitchen,” Herald said. “It is very relaxing, and you get to experience the end yard of I did that.”

Herald’s grandma taught her how to cook by attending these events brings her back to those memories of being home.

These recipes can be cooked in ten minutes or less.

Recipe

Skillet Elute

Ingredients

2 cans of corn

2 tablespoons of mayo

1 tablespoon of lime juice

1.5 teaspoons of chili powder

3 tablespoons of cotija cheese

Directions

1: Whisk mayo, lime juice and chili powder in a bowl until combined set aside

2: Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn and cook for 5 minutes without stirring. Toss around with a spatula and cook until corn has started to brown. After about three minutes, remove from heat

3: Add mayo mixture and stir until evenly combined. Sprinkle cotija cheese and more chili powder if wanted.

4: Ready to eat!

Recipe two: meatless tacos

Ingredients: Tortillas, Spanish rice, Black beans, bell pepper, cheese, lettuce

Directions:

1: Cook black beans according to instruction on the can

2: cook rice according to the packaging

3: chop bell peppers

4: warm toco shells on stove top

5: assemble with any toppings you want

Healthy Cooking 101 promotes healthy cooking habits presented by the HERC. In Klehm Hall Tuesday evening, where students had the opportunity make meatless tacos and elote. (Ashanti Thomas)

Get your bake on! The next healthy cooking 101 event will be on October 3 at 5:30 p.m. located in khelm Hall, Learn about carbohydrates and diverse types of simple vs complex recipes, fast facts, and tips.

They will be making blue cheese walnut toast and Feta pasta with roasted tomatoes

Sia Deykoontz can be reached at 5811-2812 or at [email protected].