Panthers record second loss of season against Knights

Forward+Maxwell+Allen+plays+vs.+Bellarmine+Saturday+afternoon.+The+Panthers+lost+2-0+at+Lakeside+Field.+
Prince Pappoe
Forward Maxwell Allen plays vs. Bellarmine Saturday afternoon. The Panthers lost 2-0 at Lakeside Field.

Eastern lost a competitive game to Bellarmine 2-0 on Saturday afternoon at Lakeside Field.

The Knights scored two goals in the first 21 minutes.

Bellarmine was aggressive all game especially in the beginning.

EIU could not get any chances through as every long ball would be intercepted by the defense.

“Chance creation for me is one thing that we have to be better in those moments,” Panthers head coach Josh Oakley said.

Junior goalkeeper Chad Smith was a standout today for EIU as he had 6 total saves.

The Panthers’ defense tried to stay strong throughout the game, but the two early goals from the Knights sealed the win for the Knights.

In the 15th minute, Knights’ redshirt freshman midfielder Calle Sjoberg was able to knock the ball in after he got free from his defender.

Just five minutes later, after a free kick, Knights’ junior midfielder Brendan Schoemehl gave the team a two-goal lead.

Eastern was able to limit the mistakes however, fifth year senior forward Maxwell Allen, took a yellow card at the end of the first half.

“It’s kind of just like a one game at a time mentality,” Allen said. “Obviously, it’s upsetting losing and emotions do run high, which is fine, but we do have to just forget the bad stuff that we did but take twenty-four hours to look at it. Look at the bad stuff then move on to the next game.”

In the second half, EIU take more on goal shots as they had none in the first half.

EIU tried to keep hopes alive as the defense stood tall alongside junior defender William Bruce.

The Panthers were able to keep the Knights out of the goal and tried to will the offense along, but nothing was working.

“You know, obviously it’s not ideal, but you know it’s always how you respond,” Bruce said. “Can’t let one loss come two and then three and then four so you have to look forward to Tuesday no matter what.”

The Panthers look to get back in the win column as they face the Wright State Raiders on Tuesday at 1 p.m. at Lakeside Field.

Patrick Schmitz can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].