COLUMN: The only movie you will ever need- ‘The Princess Bride’

Ashanti Thomas

I know what you are thinking, “But Kierstyn, there is no way I could only watch one movie. I need different genres. I cannot watch the same one genre movie forever.”

Well, my dear reader, I have the movie for you. “The Princess Bride.” The movie is basically every genre. Never heard of it? Do not fret, I will tell you everything you need to know.

“The Princess Bride” is a movie from 1987, which yes is a bit older but do not let that drive you away. You may be thinking that this means there is no possible way for any cool monsters or crazy scenes.

You would be wrong. They have puppets that look so real, I used to hide behind a blanket as a kid. There is your horror genre. Even so, the main story line is still so fun and lighthearted, it is the perfect family movie that you can watch with all ages.

The first time I saw this movie was actually in 6th grade and was put on by my teacher. So, I promise, it is very family-friendly.

Want an action movie? It is sword fight galore and a plot of revenge for the murder of a father.

Maybe you want a fun fantasy movie. “The Princess Bride” has it for you. The whole movie follows the story of a princess in a far-off land.

“Kierstyn, I would need a romance movie.” Do not worry, the Princess is in love with a farm boy who goes off to sail and disappears (There is your mystery genre).

Then, right as she is about to be married, he comes back to save her from a loveless marriage and tell her he never stopped loving her (and your drama genre).

You need some laughs? The Princess Bride is also a comedy. With tons of jokes and funny moments that will leave your stomach hurting. There is also a character named Prince Humperdinck which I just think is funny in itself.

You want a movie based off a book? Well, perfect because the Princess Bride is indeed based off a book from 1973.

You need adventure? The story follows along the journey to save the princess and save the farm boy from Humperdinck’s wrath.

You say “Kierstyn, this sounds great, but I need a sports movie or something.”

I have three words for you. Andre the Giant. Yes, you heard (read?) me right. Andre the Giant, the famous wrestler, is in this movie and he is absolutely fantastic.

He is so funny in it and just a great addition to the narrative. So, if you need a movie for any of your various genre needs, “The Princess Bride” is the perfect option for any mood. You genuinely cannot go wrong when it comes to this movie.

Kierstyn Budz can be reached at [email protected] or 217-581-2812.