NPHC hosts first fall informational: Greek 101

Sia Deykoontz
A Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated member, speaks at the NPHC Greek 101 event at Martin Luther King Jr. University Union on Eastern Illinois University campus Wednesday Evening

The Eastern Illinois National Pan Hellenic Council (NPHC), hosted its 2023 Greek 101 fall informational Wednesday, Sept. 6 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

The informational was held in the Grand Ballroom on the top floor of the Martin Luther King Union.

The central focus of this event was to give all students, freshman, transfers and grad students alike, a chance to better understand and gain new knowledge about the National Pan Hellenic Council itself and the seven NPHC organizations on Eastern’s campus

Although there are nine organizations apart of the NPHC the seven fraternities and sororities associated with Eastern’s campus are Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc., Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. and Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.

The schedule for the night’s events consisted of a general overview of the NPHC, introducing the whole council, the history behind it and most importantly its mission.

According to Eastern’s website, the mission statement of the NPHC is “to promote cooperation and harmony between member organizations and between members and other campus organizations to develop a positive relationship for the Greek community.”

Each fraternity and sorority gave a presentation about when and where their organization was founded. What original members founded their organizations. Their mission statement and principles such as scholarship, service and sister or brotherhood. Lastly, each organization presented information about their specific chapter here on Eastern’s campus.

The Vice President of the NPHC conducted a FAQ, a frequently asked question segment which answered questions that are commonly asked regarding the NPHC, while also opening the floor to questions from the attendees.

Each organization participated in a two-scene fashion show. Members of the organizations dressed in something they would wear to a tailgate and something they would wear to a chapter meeting.

The event ended with a table session. Each organization had its table in the back of the Grand Ballroom which allowed students to come and ask questions, sign up for which organizations best piqued their interest and learn about upcoming NPHC events.

Student Life Office Advisor, Ariel Taylor, shared from personal experience why she felt this event was so important.

“I know when I was a freshman, I didn’t know much about Greek life so it’s important to introduce everybody to it as much as possible and let them know that it’s not intimidating,” she said.

Because there are a lot of specifics and stereotypes that come with familiarizing yourself with Greek life, this event is meant to destigmatize people’s way of thinking about Greek life and foster a marketplace for ideas and understanding.

“… you are free to ask questions, free to sign up wherever you wanna sign up as many times as you wanna sign up. People have a stigma about Greek life like, oh, if you sign up for one, for one letter org [organization], you can’t sign up for another org because you automatically want to be that in that org. That’s not true,” said Taylor.

“Tonight was really an event to get the campus aware of what black Greek life looks like,” said Alpha Phi Alpha Treasurer and NPHC President, Nick Trimble.

“I feel like if anyone were to take anything away from this event, it would probably be, uh, that although we have our own respective organizations, we are all still a unified front. We all still stand up to the same issues that face the black community and we’re all still for the people.” Trimble said.

Iota Phi Theta President, Leon Lomax, explained the importance of Greek 101.

“It gives an objective or it gives an outlook of all the black community or black organizations on campus.” he said, “It’s [the event] really honestly for our black population on campus, it seems like there’s not a lot we have, that we can be participated in so it’s really good to just showcase every organization and what they have to offer, what they can provide for the campus.

Zeta Phi Beta sorority President, Rafiat Yarrow, expressed the mindset and way of thinking she hoped the participants would be left with.

“I want someone to be able to take on being able to figure out what’s meant for you. Making sure you understand you’re choosing an organization for you and not for what the image it may bring. Make sure you’re choosing an organization that draws your heart, the principles that you have within yourself and not just the organization and just being able to be yourself while still pursuing something that you are very intrigued in.”

The NPHC will be hosting another fall informational on Thursday, Sept. 7, from 7 p.m. until 9 p.m. in the University Ballroom on the top floor of the Martin Luther King Union.

Alexis Moore-Jones can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].