COLUMN: Taylor Swift is sort of metal

Dan Hahn
Dan Hahn is a graduate student studying English and can be reached at 217-581-2812.

NPR reports that “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour Concert Film is coming to AMC theaters across the U.S., Canada and Mexico starting Oct. 13.” It turns out that I will be accompanying my wife to the movie.

I am sure there are many guys out there that enjoy the music of Taylor Swift, and I do not want to make a gender-based argument about Taylor Swift fans.

But, I am a metal head, and I would never in a million years go to see this movie under my own volition. However, since my wife prompted me to accompany her, I will acquiesce. 

To be fair: even though I would not call myself a fan, Taylor Swift did attract my attention when according The Washington Post her concert caused an earthquake during her show on July 22 in Seattle, Washington.

As a metal head, I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge that shaking the earth is just about the most metal thing that can happen at a Taylor Swift concert. 

I am not the only person to acknowledge the might of Taylor Swift, whose economic impact has drawn the attention of The Federal Reserve.

Interesting enough, The Federal Reserve is not a metal band, but rather the entity that oversees policy that advocates for the health of the United States economy. 

It turns out that when Taylor Swift has a show in a major city, restaurants fill and hotel bookings go through the roof. This is a boon to the economies of the cities that host this music star’s phenomenal performances.

Taylor Swift is a phenomenon and I dearly wish her music was more appealing to a broader, more male audience.

Disagree with me if you want, but as mighty and formidable as she is, Taylor Swift writes and performs music for feminine audiences (and their spouses!).

As a creative myself, I have huge respect for her.

Taylor Swift is not metal, though the headlines she is producing during her Eras Tour are, to me, reminiscent of the show “Metalocalypse” which is a parody that imagines the biggest music act in the world as the extreme metal act Dethklok.

Dethklok is a five-piece band with two guitarists, a bassist, drummer, and lead vocalist. Taylor Swift is but one individual, with no band mates to share the limelight. The signature trope of most “Metalocalypse” episodes is that fans will do just about anything to see the band perform live. 

Their incredibly expensive shows are held in dangerous locations and include numerous hazards including pyrotechnics, lasers, and giant bladed pendulums. Shows often conclude in multiple attendee deaths.

Of course, I do not wish death on Taylor Swift’s audiences, and I am writing this column to cheer her on, and her fans to keep doing what they are doing. 

Fueled by a rabid fan base, bands like The Beatles, Taylor Swift, and Dethklok remind us that music can be a phenomenon for the masses that will drive economies. Metallica is the most contemporary example of a metal band achieving such widespread fame.

I am a devoted metal head and I have confidence that someday a metal band will take the mantle of the world’s largest band. Not that it is a contest, but I hope they can shake the earth harder than Taylor Swift. 

Dan Hahn can be reached at [email protected] or 217-581-2812.