Panthers plan to ‘re-energize’ for game against Redbirds

Tyriq Johnson
Wide receiver, DeAirious Smith (88), attempts to catch a pass from behind during their wide receiver drills during one of their spring football practices on O’Brien Field Thursday evening.

The EIU women’s soccer team is facing Illinois State on Thursday at 3 p.m. at Lakeside Field.

This is the first time the two teams have faced each other since they played last September.

On that outing, the Panthers beat the Redbirds 3-1. Eastern controlled the game until ISU scored with 16 minutes left in the game.

Head Coach Dirk Bennet proposed that because it was such a rough loss, the Redbirds could be coming back with a chip on their shoulder.

“We played last year, and we won at their place,” Bennett said. “I’m sure that they do want to come back and get a result against us here.”

The Panthers drew a tie against the Purdue Fort Wayne Mastodons last Thursday.

When asked how his team was feeling about the upcoming game, Coach said they are wanting a win.

“Went on the road and played a tough team; got a decent result,” Bennett said. “We wanted a little bit more, so I think we were left hungry.”

The Panthers will have a seven-day break between games by the time they play the Redbirds.

ISU drew against Oakland on Sunday, which gives them a four-day break.

Coach Bennett said he expects the team to utilize this break and come into the match energetically.

“We had a lot of good time to re-energize and enjoy the Labor Day weekend, so we should be very well rested going into this game,” Bennett said. “I imagine we’re going to see some good energy on Thursday.”

ISU is coming to Charleston with a record of 0-3-1. EIU currently has a record of 1-2-2.

Both teams are looking for a win to boost their early season momentum.

Coach Bennett discussed getting ahead early with his players the week going up to the match.

“We’ve been talking about starting well lately, having a fast start,” Bennett said. “That’s just something we focus on with our words and our actions a little bit.”

Aidan Cusack can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].