EIU softball loses first-ever NCAA Regional game

Han Byer

Head coach, Tara Archibald, speaks to her team between innings during the softball program’s first ever NCAA Regional appearance at Sharon J. Drysdale Field on the Northwestern University campus on May 19 in Evanston, Il. The Panthers lost 2-0 to the Wildcats.

Autumn Schulz, Senior Sports Reporter

The Eastern Illinois softball team lost its first game of its first-ever appearance in the NCAA Regional Tournament 2-0 to #15 Northwestern Friday afternoon.

The tournament is double-elimination, therefore, the Panthers will be back in action tomorrow at 2:30 p.m. to take on Miami (Ohio).

The Wildcats crossed the plate first in the first inning after Hannah Cady was able to hit an RBI single.

Their second and final run of the game was in the third inning after Kansas Robinson hit a solo home run.

Head coach Tara Archibald said that her vision from day one was to win OVC Championships and get to the NCAA Tournament.

“To see it happen today on that stage and for them to represent themselves as well as they did,” Archibald said. “It was a proud moment for me.”

OVC Pitcher of the Year, Olivia Price, started on the mound for the Panthers.

Senior pitcher, Olivia Price (6), winds up her pitch during the Panthers’ first ever NCAA Regional appearance on May 19, 2023 at Sharon J Drysdale Field on the Northwestern University campus in Evanston, Il. The Panthers lost 2-0 to the Wildcats. (Han Byer)

Archibald said that only allowing one hard hit ball from a Big 10 team is a big deal for Price.

“She looked like she deserved it, like she knew she could do it,” Archibald said. “She looked confident; she looked under control. She was absolutely nailing her spots and sticking to the game plan.”

Through the six innings pitched, Price allowed five hits and two runs, all while striking out four.

Price said that if she would’ve been asked if she was going to be pitching on the NCAA Regional stage earlier this season, she wouldn’t have been 100 percent sure.

“But now that we’re in the situation, I believe that everything we did in the preseason, offseason that we put in has definitely paid off by now,” Price said.

The Panthers collected three hits throughout the game. Wildcat starting pitcher Danielle Williams struck out 10 Panthers.

Amber Cieplinski, Morgan Lewis, and Aryne Henke all had hits.

Senior catcher, Amber Cieplinski (17), swings at a pitch and hits it foul during her last at bat of the game during the softball program’s first ever NCAA Regional appearance at Sharon J. Drysdale Field at Northwestern University on May 19 in Evanston, Il. The Panthers lost 2-0 to the Wildcats. (Han Byer)

Cieplinski said that the pressure of on the Panthers while making their first-ever appearance on the NCAA Tournament stage was a privilege.

“Pressure, it’s like good,” Cieplinski said. “It means you care. And we went out there today and just went for it. We went all out and left everything on the field.”

The Panthers will take on the RedHawks in an elimination game tomorrow at 3:30 p.m.

The RedHawks lost 9-1 earlier today to Kentucky as Kentucky was able to hit three home runs off starting right-hander Brianna Pratt.

The RedHawks are 37-19 overall and 21-8 in the Mid-American Conference.

Archibald said that the Panthers will be prepared and ready to play come tomorrow.

Autumn Schulz can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]