COLUMN: KitKats, Reese’s, and new perspective

Katja Benz is a senior English major and can be reached at 581-2912 or [email protected].

Katja Benz, Columnist

When I was thinking about what I should write this column about, I was at a little loss for words.  

I do not want to get slandered by my coworkers for not being a super big fan of KitKats (I agree with Will, sorry everyone). I am a big Reese’s person however (Reese’s eggs for the win, please do not fire me).  

I also do not want to get into arguments about recent Eastern events, as I know that faculty and staff need time to process what is happening while also getting their courses back on track after everything that occurred.  

So, between everything that is going on in my life, I realize that I have no thoughts or feelings on anything in particular at the moment, meaning that I presently feel incredibly scatterbrained, and I do not know what to do or how best to proceed at this point in time.  

Instead of writing about my thoughts, and as someone that enjoys learning new things and gaining new prospective, I would love to hear new perspectives on some things (advice and prospective from students, faculty, staff, administration and community members are very welcome. My email is at the bottom of this column.) 

In a way, I think that despite having a wide variety of experiences and being exposed to a lot of things as a child and young adult, I feel like I do not have that big of a world view. So, I appreciate anything and everything you all would like to share.  

One thing I am interested in gaining perspectives about is graduate school. I recently committed to Marquette University, in Milwaukee, Wis. I am very excited for my new experiences, my graduate assistantship and my coursework.

However, I am scared that I will not be as successful or make as big of an impact on the Marquette student body as I did on Eastern’s.   

How do I get through graduate school knowing I will make it out, but not knowing if I will make it out by the skin of my teeth or more than that? 

I know that it is not scary, as most of the faculty will say, but how do you know if you are ready? Or do you just do it and see what happens? 

For the administration, faculty, and staff reading this, I am also wondering what kinds of things will make me a good hire in the work force.

What kinds of qualities, experiences, personality traits, and skills do people that work for you have and how do I go on acquiring them as a relatively new student affairs professional? 

For the students reading this, I am going to be working in student life for my grad assistantship. What kinds of things do you see at events that you like and dislike that I can incorporate into my work style or office?  

I guess at the end of the day, all I’m really worried about is how I can best serve all of you. So, please let me know.  

Katja Benz is senior English major and can reached at [email protected] or 217-581-2812.