EIU baseball continues home game stint against Little Rock

At the end of the game, the Eastern Illinois University Panthers had a 17 point lead against Illinois Wesleyan University at Coaches Stadium.

Autumn Schulz, Sports Editor

The Eastern Illinois baseball team will look to improve its Ohio Valley Conference standings this weekend against third place Little Rock with a three-game series starting on Friday at 3 p.m. at Coaches Stadium.

Both Saturday and Sunday’s games are scheduled to start at 1 p.m.

The Panthers are coming off a 14-0 win over Western Illinois, a non-conference opponent. The Panthers are 1-5 in the OVC and 17-12 overall.

The Trojans are 18-12 overall and 6-3 in the OVC. They are coming off a 11-4 over No. 5 Arkansas.

The Panthers and the Trojans are very close in many OVC statistic categories. The Trojans lead the OVC in team batting with a .288 batting average. The Panthers are in second place with a .277.

In team pitching, the Panthers lead with a 4.60 ERA while the Trojans are in second place with a 5.01.

Junior catcher Grant Lashure is the lone Panther in the individual batting category. He is in eighth place with a .388 batting average. Through 68 at-bats, Lashure has recorded 23 hits and 10 RBIs.

Trojan senior outfielder Tyler Williams is second in individual batting with a .361 batting average. In 119 at-bats, Williams has recorded 43 hits and 23 RBIs and six home runs.

Sophomore infielder Nico Baumbach is third in the standings with a .359 batting average. He has recorded 37 hits, 24 RBIs, and nine home runs.

Junior infielder Skyler Trevino is tenth in the standings with a .327 batting average. He has 34 hits, 33 RBIs, and nine home runs.

Two Trojan pitchers are leading the individual pitching category. Sophomore right-hander Jackson Wells is in first place with a 1.51 ERA. He has allowed 34 hits, 13 runs, and seven earned runs.

Sophomore right-hander Preston Davis is second with a 2.52 ERA. He has allowed 26 hits, 17 runs, and 11 earned runs.

Graduate student right-hander Ky Matthews-Hampton is in fourth place for the Panthers. He has a 2.89 ERA and has allowed 48 hits, 16 runs, and 15 earned runs.

Graduate student right-hander Nick Laxner also appears on the list for the Panthers. He has a 4.35 ERA and has allowed 33 hits, 16 runs, and 15 earned runs.

Autumn Schulz can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]