COLUMN: What do we do now?

Will Padgett is a graduate student studying English and can be reached at 581-2912 [email protected].

Will Padgett, Columnist

While I normally do not write on topic for any of the issues of The News, Ellen said if I do not I will be forced to eat Kit-Kats and that is a fate worse than death. But really, this strike is too important NOT to write about.

There are a couple of issues with me writing about something like this though:

1. I am an idiot who often accidentally puts his foot in his mouth and while I attempt to be funny, humor is subjective and does not always scan with everyone.
  2. I really do not know much about the context or the strike in general. Do I think professors should get a raise and better workloads/conditions? Absolutely. Do I know anything at all about the actual negotiations going on and what goes into the contract talks. I write columns about spaghetti and candy so I think you know the answer to that.

Alright, we have established that I know next to nothing about the strike so with that out of the way let us move onto the question at hand: What the hell do we do now (the “we” being students)?

Honestly, I have no earthly clue. I have heard that some students plan not to attend class to stand in solidarity with their students. I have mixed feelings about that.

On one hand, I think it is incredibly noble to support your professors in any way you can and I would never admonish anyone for doing so.

However, I personally think that it could have negative repercussions on your education and could result in a big blow to your grades/GPA. Do these things matter in the grand scheme of things? Perhaps not, but you may feel it later and that worries me.

I really do not know if there is anything that students should do in terms of this whole strike. If you feel as though striking along with your professors is the right thing to do then you should do it.

If you do not, then do not. Students getting involved can make things tricky. I would hate to see students punished or penalized for supporting the professors who picket and rally; I think that you would be hard-pressed to find a professor that would actually do that, though.

One thing I will warn you against, though, is taking either side at face value. It is really, really easy to create this “Good Guys vs. Bad Guys” dichotomy but things are hardly ever that simple.

If you want to comment on it in a public way, you should do your research and be able to contextualize both sides. Ironic coming from me, but that is all the more reason you should seriously consider it.

I cannot say with any kind of certainty that this strike is a simple matter of giving the professors what they want. I think things should change and that professors should be given better pay and better working conditions.

But my feelings of what is right and what is possible may be too far apart. The simple truth is that I do not know. It very well could be and I am maybe overthinking it, but I think there are layers to this issue that go beyond my understanding.

If you want to know more about this whole thing, read the associated articles (i.e not mine) that cover the topic. There are a lot of good info there but also be willing to look at both sides objectively.

I am sure this will all be sorted out soon but in the meantime sit tight, snuggle up, and snack away—just not on Kit-Kats.

Will Padgett is an English graduate student. He can be reached at [email protected] or 217-581-2812.