COLUMN: An ending to a movie, not a trilogy

Cam’ron Hardy is a sophomore journalism major and can be reached at 581-2912 or [email protected].

Cam'ron Hardy, News Editor

“Spider-Man 3” is a respectable ending to the trilogy and an even better ending to the movie alone, unfortunately it did not feel as though the trilogy was entirely complete.

Peter Parker, Tobey Maguire, faces his final battle concluding the “Spider-Man” trilogy. He goes against the Sandman, Thomas Haden Church, and a new Venom character, who controls Parker earlier in the film and eventually finds Eddie Brock, Topher Grace, Parker’s competition at newspaper they both work at.

While doing this, Parker juggles his relationship with his girlfriend Mary Jane, Kirsten Dunst, and best friend Harry Osborn, James Franco.

The story line was the greatest aspect of this film. There was a balance between action and plot where one did not overrun the other.

The acting was not that good in this movie. During emotional parts, it felt a bit forced and cringy.

For example, when Jane was breaking up with Parker, Maguire’s acting was not believable.

Church did the best job as far as the acting. Some of his emotional scenes seemed heartfelt and genuine. His backstory with wanting to get money for his daughter was respectable and allowed viewers to connect to his story and not feel negative towards him.

When Parker was overtaken by the venom, his alter-ego was charming, for lack of a better word. Aware that this was released in 2007, it is believable that that was what was considered cool during that time. He played that character well with his narcissistic personality and boast of confidence.

His demeanor was funny looking back at it from the future.

Although this movie was great alone, it did not seem like a conclusion to the saga. The death of Osborn was the main thing that made some sort of impact to “Spider-Man” trilogy.

Knowing the outcome of Mary Jane and Peter’s relationship would have been better. Some sort of clarity on what happens to Spider-Man, as far as knowing if he continues fighting villains or if he retires the suit.

The cinematography was not that impressive, but the fighting/action scenes were visually appealing, which is expected from a Marvel movie.

The way Spider-Man was swift and smooth with his movement was great. The way the background and the buildings of New York City moved quickly but Spider-Man was still clear to see was fascinating to see.

It is something that can be overlooked, but paying attention to it was very appealing to see. Scenes like those can bring out the inner child in people and can inspire kids to want to be like superheroes.

Overall, it was a great film. A definitive conclusion and better acting would have made this movie better, but nonetheless, it is still an awesome superhero movie.

Rate: 3.5/5

Cam’ron Hardy is a sophomore journalism major. He can be reached at [email protected] or 217-581-2812.