COLUMN: Reflecting back on my time

Katja Benz is a senior English major and can be reached at 581-2912 or [email protected].

Katja Benz, Columnist

All my in-person classes are back-to-back on Tuesday and Thursday. On the one hand, it is the greatest decision ever because I can work and do homework all day Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  

However, on the other hand, it can be a little overwhelming because I leave where I live early in the morning and do not come back until about five p.m. after a long day of both class and work.  

After those long days, I want to go home and relax for a little bit. Maybe I will go out to eat (that does not usually happen), go to an on-campus event, and then I usually do some homework before going to bed. 

However, I have seven weeks (well six and a half really) as an undergraduate student here at Eastern. I do not know how to make the most of it.  

I will note that I am a particularly busy individual, and I may not accomplish as much as I want to in the coming weeks.  I do think though that it is important to reflect on everything I have done here in my two years at Eastern, as well as look at what may be coming next.  

I am not trying to brag or anything, by showing off everything. I hope that this gets you to reflect on your experiences.  

If you think there is something I need to do before I graduate, let me know and I will try to fit it into my schedule (my email is at the bottom of the screen, on the right).  

I am incredibly proud of the fact that I am learning to be an adult for the first time. I transferred to Eastern in the fall of 2021, so a short year and a half ago. I hardly knew anything about campus, how I would adjust or how I would even make friends. But I did, nonetheless.  

I am also really proud of myself for getting into graduate school. For anyone thinking of going to grad school, it is both a grueling and rewarding process. I am mostly unsure of where I will end up (mostly for reasons I will not get into), but I know I will end up where I am supposed to be.  

I am finally proud of the memories I have made here. From watching the murder mystery party unfold, to the drag show last fall, and attending events with my friends put on by University Board.

I will always cherish the memories I made here at Eastern.  

As for the stuff I am going to do before I leave, I am still finalizing that.  

I know I want to go to a few restaurants and cafes before I leave (Dirty’s, Casa Del Mar and the JAC to name a few) and I will be at Pantherbash, but other than that, I am not sure what I will be up to.  

So, in the meantime, I guess I will go back to my homework.  

Katja Benz is a senior English major. She can be reached at [email protected] or 217-581-2812.