BSU hosts black history bingo to kick off black history month

Christina Holman, Campus Events Junior Editor

To start off Black History Month, the Black Student Union, BSU, hosted Black History Bingo . The event took place at late night pizza in Thomas Dining Hall from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m.

The event included many rounds of bingo, raffles, music, refreshments, and black history facts throughout the night.

Students used this as a time to kick back, relax, and learn more about Black history.

Julianna Holloway, a junior biology major, is also a member of BSU. 

“The leaders did great at planning the event and I’m happy for the turnout,” Holloway said. 

She said this event made her feel included and seen. 

“I loved how BSU incorporated a common campus gathering such as late night pizza and bingo,” Holloway said.

Students were seen socializing and having fun while the president of BSU saw the excitement and competitiveness on the students’ faces.

Christian Young- Perez, a senior pre-med biology major, played a big part in making this event happen and used it as a good opportunity to recruit new members. 

He said it is a good event for students of different levels and to promote them as well.

“I do believe this was good for recruitment simply because it includes almost everybody from different levels of school,” Young-Perez said. “It actually promotes what we’re doing and trying to make sure everybody’s part of it [and] make sure everybody’s aware of what’s going on, on campus.”

Young- Perez also said this event would bring awareness to Black History Month and Black students on campus.

“Everything that’s in the game is included in black history [to kind of] teach people that don’t know Black history what Black history means to us and then in general what it looks like,” Young-Perez said.

Kemal Dodd, a freshman majoring in exercise science who is also the parliamentarian of BSU, was also in attendance at this event. He gave more insight on how the event turned out.

“It brought a lot of people out because usually when I come to this around this time, it’s never this packed,” Dodd said. “Every table here was filled and that was a good sight to see.”

He also gave more information on what to expect from BSU this semester.

They will have more events coming up including a Super Bowl party and collaborating with University Board for a Hip-Hop Sip and Paint, where they paint black celebrities and drink mocktails.

Black Student Union meets on Mondays at 6 p.m. in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union in the Charleston/Mattoon Room.

Christina Holman can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].