FSL Fair allows students to be informed on Greek life

Cam'ron Hardy

Leon Lomax, a senior digital media technology major, and member of Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc., attends the Fraternity and Sorority Life fair Wednesday evening in the Grand Ballroom of Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Cam'ron Hardy, News Editor

The FSL Fair took place Wednesday at the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

The Fraternity-Sorority Life Fair took place from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

The fair allows students to get information about the different sororities and fraternities that are on campus. They set up their own individual tables exhibiting awards, trophies, and planks that their group may have acquired since being active.

Sheets were also available for students that were interested in to sign if they wanted to know more information about these organizations.

Member of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc., Cherish Crosby, and a senior mass communication major, attended the event.

Crosby and her sorority sisters informed those in attendance about what her sorority is about.

“We’re a community-conscious-action-oriented organization,” Crosby said. “What we do is give back to our community and that’s what we’ve been doing on this campus here.”

Crosby also said that Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc., has been on Eastern’s campus since 1972.

Crosby also said that she has been a part of the sorority for two years and joined due to her being a legacy, which implies that her relatives were a part of the organization, and in this instance, both of her sisters were a part of it.

“When I first came to Eastern Illinois, the Zeta’s on campus were so nice and welcoming, and they really made me feel like I had a home away from home,” Crosby said. She considers them her second family.

She was also felt like the event had a bigger turnout than expected. She said a lot more people came out this year than last year.

Member of Alpha Phi, Brooke LaBue, a senior elementary education major, also attended the event.

LaBue has been a part of the sorority for four years. Her reasoning for joining is that when she was in high school, she wanted meet new people and be able to find herself.

She was a part of a dance team in high school. Her teammates were reliable, and she searched for that some group in college and she believes she found that within the sorority.

LaBue described the sorority as a philanthropy and focuses primarily on the overall health of hearts.

LaBue also said that the sorority puts money towards the future goals of the other sisters that are a part of it.

“If one of our sisters is going through a tragedy later in life, Alpha Phi raises money to help them through it,” LaBue said.

Cam’ron Hardy can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].