COLUMN: ‘La La Land’ is a cinematic masterpiece

Cam’ron Hardy is a sophomore journalism major and can be reached at 217-581-2812.

Cam'ron Hardy, News Editor

The combination of romance and comedies was interesting to see how it was done in this manner with the attention to detail regarding the cinematography.

Due to how many awards it received at The Oscars in 2017 and its high reviews, this was anticipated, even though it came out a few years.

After watching this film, the number of awards it received made sense.

The cinematography was outstanding in this film. Pretty much every shot was fresh and surreal to look at.

The scene where Mia (Emma Stone) and Sebastian Wilder (Ryan Gosling) were in the music club and the camera was panning back and forth to them was new to me and it was great.

The behind-the-scenes footage of that scene and it was fascinating seeing how that was completed.

The lighting in this scene was also a powerful addition to this film. Depending on the tone of the scene, the lighting would perfectly match to immerse viewers into the scene.

The colors used in this movie were phenomenal. The colors were so organic.

The time period of this movie is set in the 1950’s, but it felt so modern due to the colors.

They were so vibrant, and it could make audience members enthusiastic about the next scenes coming up.

The way Watson’s character utilizes everything is remarkable and makes her character flourish in this film. Her costumes were also an addition to how flamboyant the film was.

Aside from the technical aspects of this film, the acting in this film was great.

The plot was not drowned in romance and that it was thrown in my face for two hours, but the plot and character development took over and the romance was not to so transparent.

There were some points in the plot that were confusing, but they were very minor.

When Mia leaves the man she was associating with at the restaurant all she says is that “She’s sorry,” and just never sees him again.

This scene felt a little unrealistic to what the plot had been set up to be.

Another part that felt off, was when Mia goes in front of the entire movie theatre just to find Wilder.

Nobody said anything to her, or told her to get out of the way, they just let it happen.

It is odd how someone would find someone else in a dark movie theatre besides going up and down the rows, which should have been done, but as stated previously, this is a minor confusion had within the movie.

J.K. Simmons had a small role in this movie, which was unfortunate.

It was confusing to know why he would be in this movie at all with a role that small, but during the credits, it stated that Damien Chazelle, the director of this film, also directed Whiplash, which is another great film.

Nonetheless, Simmons should have had a bigger role in this.

Overall, this was a great film, and might be one of the best produced films of all time.

Rate: 4.5/5.

Cam’ron Hardy is a sophomore journalism major. He can be reached at [email protected] or 217-581-2812.