EIU’s fall golf season in full swing

Isabel+Spanburg%2C+a+junior+majoring+in+Biological+Sciences%2C+watches+her+shot+during+the+Indiana+State+Invite+at+the+Country+Club+of+Terre+Haute+in+Terre+Haute%2C+Indiana%2C+on+April+3%2C+2022.+Spanburg+finished+the+invite+in+50th+place%2C+shooting+a+36-hole+total+of+183.+

Kate Stevens

Isabel Spanburg, a junior majoring in Biological Sciences, watches her shot during the Indiana State Invite at the Country Club of Terre Haute in Terre Haute, Indiana, on April 3, 2022. Spanburg finished the invite in 50th place, shooting a 36-hole total of 183.

Kate Stevens, Assistant Sports Editor

The men and women of the Eastern golf teams both competed in tournaments on Monday and Tuesday.  

The men competed in the SIUE Derek Dolenc Invitational in Madison, Ill., and the women competed in the Austin Peay F&M Bank Intercollegiate in Clarksville, Tenn.  

The men’s team finished in 16th place with a final score of 913 after three rounds. Pierce Allord, EIU’s second golfer, was their top finisher as he had a three-round average of 75 and placed in a tie for 55th place overall.  

EIU’s fifth golfer, Keegan Gowin, ended up finishing in second place on the team and tied for 66th overall as he finished two strokes behind Allord with an average of 76.  

Ben Lanman finished one stroke behind Gowin with an average of 76.3 per round, finishing in a tie for 72nd overall.  

Preston Smith, EIU’s first golfer, finished in a tie for 91st overall with a total score of 241 and Juan Pablo Hernandez finished in 96th with a total score of 251.  

The men will head out to Westlake, Ohio, for the Cleveland State Tom Tonitimonia Invite Oct. 3 and 4.  

The women’s team finished in 10th place after three rounds with a total score of 1033, just five strokes behind Southern Indiana.  

Katelind Winterland was EIU’s first golfer and she was EIU’s top golfer for the tournament. She recorded an 84.3 average over the three rounds and finished in 39th place overall. 

EIU’s three freshmen made an appearance in their first tournament. Ashley Chen, the number three golfer, finished in 44th place overall with a three-hole average of 85.6. Ava Boehm finished two strokes behind Chen and tied for 46th overall. Lindsay Hastings finished in 59th place for EIU. 

Senior Isabel Spanburg finished in 52nd place for EIU. She is already showing improvement from last year as she finished each round with an 88 as she finished her junior year with an 88.52 stroke average.  

The EIU women’s golf team will continue their fall golf season as they head to Cape Girardeau, Mo., for the Southern Illinois Fall Invite on Oct. 10 and 11.  

Kate Stevens can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]