OVC volleyball teams open conference play

Han Byer

Number 1, Ireland Hieb, a senior middle backer, runs then a student hype tunnel before the start of the volleyball game against the Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville Cougars at Lantz Arena Friday evening, Sept. 23, 2022, on the Eastern Illinois University campus in Charleston, Ill. The Panthers won 3-1 against the Cougars.

Autumn Schulz, Sports Editor

The volleyball teams of the OVC are coming off their conference openers and UT Martin leads the standings with a 3-0 record.

The Skyhawks started off conference play with a 3-1 win over Tennessee State.

Then, the Skyhawks took on OVC newcomer Little Rock.

The first game against the Trojans saw the Skyhawks take a 3-1 win. The next day, the Skyhawks kept the momentum going with a 3-2 win.

Logan Wallick posted 21 kills while Angel Baylark had 11 kills. Haeleigh Paulino led the way with 29 assists. Addy Vaughn added 21 assists to secure the 3-2 win for the Skyhawks.

The Trojans are one of three teams at the bottom of the conference with a 2-0 record. The Trojans were led by Laure Jansen who had her second consecutive double-double with 18 kills and 12 digs.

Daria Burrows added 12 kills while Jelia Fullerton had 10 kills. Gabrielle Spankus had 27 assists and Jalynn Robinson followed closely with 25.

There are three teams tied for second place as Southeast Missouri, Morehead State, and Tennessee Tech all have a 2-0 record.

The Redhawks took on the Tigers for two matches, winning the first 3-0 and the second 3-2.The Redhawks were led by Zoey Beasley who had 22 kills and Colby Greene who had 10. 

The Tigers were led by Celestial Miller who had 15 kills. Johanna Alcantara added 14. Defensively, Gina Rivera-Ortiz had 33 digs.

After being defeated by the Redhawks, the Tigers are in seventh place with a 0-3 record.

Morehead State defeated OVC newcomer Lindenwood in two matches, both being a 3-1 victory.

In the second match, the Eagles were led by libero Peighton Isley on defense with 19 digs. Abby Hulsman had a double-double with 11 kills and 15 digs. M.E. Hargan led with 15 kills.

The Lions were led by Madilyn Dement who had 13 kills. Defensively, Jessie Seidel led the way with 15 digs while Abby VanBuskirk was close behind with 14 digs. 

Tennessee Tech took on the third OVC newcomer, Southern Indiana. The Golden Eagles defeated them 3-0 in both matches. The Golden Eagles were led by Taylor Dorsey who had 12 kills. Libero McKenna Young had 16 digs to lead the way and Jordan Karlen had 38 assists, a pair of aces, and eight digs.

The Screaming Eagles were led by Leah Anderson, who had six kills. Katherine Koch had 13 assists while Anna Ballengee had 16 digs.

The Panthers took on the Cougars to open conference play. 

The two teams split the series with the Cougars taking the second match 3-2. Both teams are now tied for fifth place. 

The Panthers were led by Giovana Larregui Lopez who had 22 kills and four aces. Lilli Amettis posted 17 kills. Christina Martinez Mundo had 20 digs.

The Cougars were led by Julia Treichel who had 17 kills. Sydney Hummert had 15 kills and defensively, the Cougars were led by Nicole Kijowski, who had 27 digs.

Autumn Schulz can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]