COLUMN: Yungblud’s self-titled album speaks to the emotions

Brie Coder, Columnist

Before writing this album review, I had to familiarize myself with the hyperactive punk named Yungblud. What I can appreciate is the fact that this artist is not afraid to dip his toes in different genre pools.

From ska, which is a make-it-or-break-it genre, to indie, pop and punk, Yungblud isn’t afraid to dive head first into anything, musically. With that said, his self-titled third album really reflects on deep themes but does it with blistering confidence.

From what I gathered, Yungblud’s self-titled album incorporates the mixed-bag reviews that his peers, the media and fans have said about him since the beginning of his career.

Instead of wallowing in his insecurities, he uses this album to reflect and turn both positive and negative criticism into a powerful declaration.

What is that declaration? Well, that’s up to the listener to decide.

I really felt his confidence come through as I listened to ‘Don’t Feel Like Feeling Sad Today.’ Every artist goes through a transitional phase, and while it’s hard for some to stay true to who they were when they first started, it doesn’t seem to be the case for Yungblud, or that’s how he makes it sound in this piece.

Elsewhere on the record, I personally enjoyed ‘Sex Not Violence.’ The staccato of Yungblud’s vocals, along with the synthesizer, acoustic and electric guitars, was quite complimentary. It reminded me of a stripped-down version of Bring Me The Horizon.

If MTV were to bring back their hit show “Unplugged,” I think this song would be euphoric to hear acoustically.

Additionally, ‘Tissues’ pays homage to the legendary gothic rock pioneers, The Cure, with their guitar line, as well as their shy love expressions.

Of course, we can’t forget about the collaborations that occurred, which included Willow in the gritty alt-rock anthem ‘Memories.’ They really painted the portrait with themes of escapism and growth.

The album concludes with ‘Boy In The Black Dress,’ which pays tribute to the idea of self-belief and expression. Going off this song, it became apparent to me that this young artist has been on the receiving end of abuse and the feeling of being the odd man out by a lot of life’s standards.

This is the perfect song for listeners to sink their teeth into, especially if they feel they are cut from a different cloth than those of their family, friends, peers or society.

I believe this song will resonate with those more than the other tracks, because it’s speaking on behalf of a generation who are still coming into their own.

Overall, there are so many themes Yungblud encapsulated in his third self-titled album that keep listeners questioning what is the general consensus of this record. I think anyone who takes the time to really hear this should not draw conclusions after just listening to it once.

In other words, don’t limit the canvas of words he speaks. This album rings true to the pent-up angst felt all across the globe.

Brie Coder is a graduate student in communication and leadership. She can be reached at [email protected] or 217-581-2812