COLUMN: EIU Students: you pay a fee, so show up to games

Kate+Stevens+is+a+senior+sports+media+relations+major.+and+can+be+reached+at+217-581-2812.+

Kate Stevens is a senior sports media relations major. and can be reached at 217-581-2812.

Kate Stevens, Assistant Sports Editor

Remember back in 2020 when all we wished for was to go to an athletic event of some sort? It is so weird that we had to wish about going to those events. But now we are finally able to fully attend athletic events and personally, that makes me so happy!  

The thing is, I did not see very many students attending games last year and the same thing is happening again this year. Usually, colleges have a pretty decent turn out in the crowds.

The teams feed off the vibes and energy of the crowd and it most definitely makes a difference in the games. Students being there and cheering on their fellow Panthers is so important and I would love to see more of you out there. 

As a former athlete, I understand just how important it is to have the stands filled whether it is an exhibition or a big game. We feel that energy on the court or field and it keeps us going.  

Did you know you also pay an athletic fee in your tuition? Both undergraduate and graduate students both pay $173.64 per semester. Part time students pay 14.47 per credit hour each semester. 

Therefore, while admission into different events is labeled as free, you actually paid for it in your tuition. So, you might as well go out and watch these games!  

College can be a very chaotic and busy time but going out and supporting one of our many teams can be a relaxing thing to do with friends on the weekend or on a weeknight sometime. Attending college sporting events is a great way to get to know people and to make memories throughout your college career. 

Some of my best memories of college so far are from being at various EIU sports games and matches. Go onto the EIU athletics website and check out the different times of games and matches going on around here in the next few weeks.  

From what I have seen so far from our fall season sports, it is going to be a good one! I have been covering women’s soccer and I am super pumped to see how their season turns out. 

They have a great team this year, so if you want to see some quality soccer, head on out to Lakeside Field.  

Panthers, let’s show some of that EIU pride and fill the stands this year! It is sure to be an exciting time and it will be much more exciting if we fill the stands and come together to watch these events. 

We have so many options here at EIU. Go ahead and support football, basketball, soccer, softball, baseball, tennis, track, cross country, golf, swimming, and volleyball! There are so many events going on each week so be sure to gather some of your friends and head to a game soon!  

I hope to see everyone at the first home football game this Saturday against Chattanooga at 6 p.m. Let’s fill up O’Brien Field! 

Kate Stevens can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]