Upperclass, alumni give tips for new students

Lugging+multiple+totes+into+Taylor+Hall+on+Friday+afternoon+during+Welcome+Weekend+with+his+parents+Kobe+Jones%2C+a+sophomore+accounting+major%2C+said+he+is+excited+for+the+new+semester.+He+said+he+hopes+to+meet+new+friends+and+is+looking+to+get+involved+in+campus+life.+

Lugging multiple totes into Taylor Hall on Friday afternoon during Welcome Weekend with his parents Kobe Jones, a sophomore accounting major, said he is excited for the new semester. He said he hopes to meet new friends and is looking to get involved in campus life.

Madelyn Kidd, News Editor

In the midst of the August heat, universities and students are preparing for the fall semester. At Eastern, classes began Monday with an influx of freshmen and transfer students attending for the first time.

Eastern alumni and upperclassmen alike offer advice to new students regarding the dining halls, transportation and academic careers.

Hannah Killough, an alum who studied theatre arts, said freshmen should remember to enjoy their next four years.

“I wish I would have known to really soak it all in,” Killough said. “Four years moves extremely fast and college is super fun if you have a good crew along for the ride.”

Harper Gerfen, a junior geology major, gave advice to benefit new students’ academic careers.

“Biggest advice would be [definitely] connect with your department advisor early on,” Gerfen said. “You’ll have a better idea of what classes you need to take and build a relationship with more [faculty] members and opportunities early on to help you succeed later in your college career.”

By creating connections, Gerfen got the opportunity for an internship this summer.

Leah Piescinski, a junior broadcast journalism major, said new students should attend class to receive attendance points for the final grade.

Sean Haynes, a junior music education major, advised new students to not procrastinate homework; your future self will appreciate it.

“Don’t procrastinate,” Haynes said. “Everyone says it, and as someone who does it constantly, you will thank yourself in the past, present and future if you do your homework or projects as soon as possible, but still with efficiency.”

Haynes also suggested making friends with people who own their own vehicle.

“Make friends with people who have cars,” Haynes said. “A ride is such a valuable resource, even in small campus towns when you need groceries, toiletries or anything at all. Plus, long, late night drives to talk about life can be pretty fun sometimes.”

Merve Diler, an international student majoring in biological sciences, warned new students about the struggles of not having a car.

“I wish there were more things to do for us international students who do not have a car,” Diler said. “It is a very small town, and there is literally nothing to do.”

Kaden Howard, a junior English major, said he wished he had known more about Eastern’s dining halls when he first came to Eastern.

“It wasn’t until last year that I even went to Thomas [Dining Hall] because I was too nervous to try out new dining halls,” Howard said. “It was awesome to learn that they are all pretty much the same in layout, where you walk in, swipe your panther card, wait for hot food, and then hit up the salad bar and snacks.”

Victoria Bezpalko, a senior public health major, said new students should know that each dining hall has a specific food of focus.

Taylor Dining Hall caters for healthier meal options for breakfast and lunch. 

Thomas Dining Hall features pizza and pasta and occasionally Mexican food. Thomas also is the only dining hall to have late-night service for pizza until 1 a.m. Sunday through Thursday. 

Stevenson Tower features the Tower Deli for lunch and dinner and the Stevenson Grill offering breakfast foods during brunch. Stevenson, also referred to as Stevo, also offers dinner reservation services on Thursday and Friday nights.

Steve Anderson, an Eastern alum, advised new students to use their dining dollars wisely.

“Don’t use up your dining dollars all at once,” Anderson said.

Madelyn Kidd can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].