Panthers fall close in second series game against Belmont

Sandy King

The baseball, softball, and women’s and men’s tennis teams will play games over spring break.

Autumn Schulz, Sports Editor

The Eastern baseball team lost 3-2 Saturday afternoon during their second game of a three-game series against Belmont. 

The Panthers are now 30-17 overall and 10-10 in conference play. The game went on until the 10th inning as it was tied 2-2 until Bruins sophomore outfielder John Behrends walked it off with a hit into right field.  

Senior right-hander Cameron Doherty started on the mound for the Panthers, pitching a total of 6.2 innings, allowing five hits, two runs, and three walks while striking out six. Hayden Birdsong took over for Doherty for three innings, allowing two hits and one run while striking out a batter.  

Junior utility player Ryan Ignoffo was the spark behind the Panthers’ offense as he went 1-for-4 with a home run and one RBI. Sophomore catcher Grant Lashure also went 1-for-4 with one RBI and Sean Lynch Jr., a sophomore outfielder, went 2-for-3.  

The Panthers now have four OVC games left in the regular season and will look to avoid the sweep tomorrow at 1:00 p.m.