Final candidate for director of the Union visits Eastern

Madelyn Kidd

Michael McKean, the associate director at the Rayburn Student Center at Texas A&M Commerce, visits Eastern on Wednesday for in-person interviews, a tour of campus and more throughout the day. McKean answered questions from Eastern employees and faculty in the Oakland Room at the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union Wednesday afternoon regarding McKean’s interest in the job position of director of the Union.

Madelyn Kidd, News Editor

The fourth and final candidate for the position of director of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union visited Eastern on Wednesday.

Michael McKean was the final candidate for the job position of director of the Union and visited Eastern for a tour, further interviews and to meet students, faculty and employees.

McKean currently works at Texas A&M University Commerce as the associate director of the Rayburn Student Center since January 2018.

McKean received an associates degree in customer service and marketing in 2004 at the Cape Fear Community College, a bachelor’s degree in film studies in 2007 from the University of North Carolina Wilmington and a masters of leadership in higher education in 2018 from Concordia University Chicago.

McKean said he believes Eastern would be a good fit due to the similarities of his current workplace.

“I’ve been working in university and unions for a long time,” McKean said. “During that time, I’ve had the really good fortune of working for and with some dynamic leaders, and I feel like they’ve given me some great insights and prepared me for my first director role. And honestly, Eastern is the right size in the right location. With, I feel like post-COVID, a lot of potential for growth. And, and there’s a lot of things that are similar to my current institution. So one is student population. We’re a rural campus within an hour of a major city, so similar to that and also the, just the overall kind of feel feels very similar. So that’s what made me fill out the application. When I started doing some research and reading about the division I was really attracted to the possibilities.”

When it comes to McKean’s management style, he does not like to micromanage.

“[I am] able to adapt and adapt my style,” McKean said. “The one thing I am not is a micromanager. I don’t believe in that. I have an open door policy.”

McKean’s reason for wanting to become a director of a union was the desire for change.

“I’ve got the supports with my family and also professionally to make this move,” McKean said. “So being a director involves a lot more time at work, a lot more time away from home, a lot more dedication. And so I’m ready to take on that challenge… And I just think there’s a lot of potential here, like the people I’ve met today are just so full of energy and it’s very contagious, and I felt welcome that ease. I haven’t had any jitters or nervousness today. I don’t feel like anyone was judging me. I felt like some folks had already welcomed me to the team. So just just from that, that reinforced what I thought I would expect when I got here. So that it even makes that more solidified.”

Madelyn Kidd can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].