First candidate for union director visits Eastern

Madelyn Kidd

Daniel Fox, one of four candidates for the position director of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union, answers questions by Eastern faculty during the open session on Wednesday afternoon in the Oakland Room in the Union. Fox spent Wednesday on Eastern’s campus meeting administration, touring campus and being interviewed.

Madelyn Kidd, News Editor

Daniel Fox, a candidate for the job position director of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union, visited Eastern’s campus and answered questions by faculty during an open session on Wednesday in the Oakland Room in the Union.

Eastern is currently looking for a new director of the Union following the retirement of Cathy Engelkes. Fox is one of four candidates who will be visiting Eastern in the next week, which includes being interviewed in-person by the search committee, have an open session interview, receive a tour of campus and meet with administration.

Fox currently is the assistant director of facilities and operations at the Plaster Student Union at Missouri State University. 

Fox has been working in student unions for over eight years where he developed a desire to be a union director.

“If there’s one thing I think that COVID taught me, and when I kind of took on some increased leadership, first thing is that I knew I wanted to stay in the student union and progress and eventually be a director one day,” Fox said. “But the second thing is, I really enjoyed working with people and being hands on and needing to be in the room with people… I really enjoy getting to know people as well and getting to know their backgrounds.”

During Fox’s time working in student unions, he developed an always explaining why mentality.

“I really liked to get context and to understand the historical perspective on why things were done,” Fox said. “… My leadership style kind of morphed into helping explain the why when it comes to the decision making process, and everything from those larger decisions when it comes to things like budget, when it comes to things like facility replacement, personnel decisions, etc. I’ve always found great value in being transparent about those decisions and explaining why those decisions were made.”

Fox received a bachelor of science in digital media production from the University of Central Missouri in 2012 and a master of science in college student personnel administration in 2014.

The next candidate visiting Eastern is Rodney Ranes, the president of Olney Central College, on Thursday and will have his open session in the Oakland Room in the Union from 1:15 p.m. to 2 p.m.

Madelyn Kidd can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].