Track teams off and running in outdoor season

Eastern+sophomores+Akiya+Kollore+%28right%29+and+Shanisa+Stinson+jump+side-by-side+while+competing+in+the+womens+100+meter+hurdles+at+the+EIU+Big+Blue+Classic+held+at+OBrien+Field+on+April+1.+Kollore+placed+first+with+a+time+of+14.21+and+Stinson+came+second+at+14.33.+

Adam Tumino

Eastern sophomores Akiya Kollore (right) and Shanisa Stinson jump side-by-side while competing in the women’s 100 meter hurdles at the EIU Big Blue Classic held at O’Brien Field on April 1. Kollore placed first with a time of 14.21 and Stinson came second at 14.33.

Adam Tumino, Sports Editor

With the EIU Big Blue Classic now in the rear-view mirror, the 2022 outdoor track season is officially underway for the Eastern men’s and women’s track and field teams.

The Classic, held April 1 at O’Brien Field, was the second outdoor meet of the season for the men’s team and the season opener for the women. By the end of the evening, multiple athletes from both the men’s and women’s teams picked up first place finishes. 

The day started with the field events, and Eastern athletes littered the top of the final leaderboard for the hammer throw. 

On the women’s side, Jenna Grzeskowiak, Clayre Shaver and Taylor Iverson placed first, second and third respectively. For the men, Bradley Olysav placed first and Bo Braunecker took second. 

In the women’s triple jump, Taryn Tarquin placed first while Ramsey Hunt took first in the men’s long jump, setting a new career high with a jump of 24 feet 11.5 inches. 

In the track events, the men’s and women’s teams combined for nine first-place finishes. 

Both the men’s and women’s 4×100 relay teams placed first, with the women’s team consisting of Vivica Coleman, Danielle Frank, Zakiya Johnson and Akiya Kollore and the men’s team consisting of Sean Hopkins, Jahleel Perrin, Brailyn Johnson and Ricky Johnson. 

Kollore also placed first in the women’s 100 meter hurdles with Shaniya Stinson placing second. Stinson would then win the women’s 400 meter hurdles. Riley Baker won the men’s 400 meter hurdles. 

The Panthers swept the 800 meters, with Katie Springer winning on the women’s side and Franky Romano placing first for the men. 

Josh Whitaker placed first in the men’s 1,500 meter run. Lindsey Carlson placed second in the women’s 5,000 meter run but set a new school record with a time of 16:34.50. 

Both teams will take a short trip to Terre Haute this weekend to compete in the Indiana State Gibson Invite, which will take place on April 8 and 9. 

Adam Tumino can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].