NAACP Image Awards, blood drive, Tarble exhibit, more at Eastern for this week

Ashanti Thomas | The Daily Eastern News

Jolene Clayton a graphic design sophomore donates blood at the blood drive Oct. 27, 2020. Clayton explained “I had to try to get my address changed and they said oh by the way there’s a blood drive going on tomorrow in Charleston and I’m like yeah sure sign me up, I don’t have anything going on this afternoon.”

Cam'ron Hardy, Campus Reporter

The 2022 NAACP Image Awards is coming to Eastern along with many more events this week.

Eastern is hosting a blood drive Monday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. inside the Donor bus on the street between Doudna and the MLK Jr. Union.  

You will need an appointment to donate, which can be set up by contacting Sam Laingen at (217) 581-5000 or visit www.bloodcenter.org and use code 70305 to locate the drive. 

Another way to set an appointment by calling ImpactLife at (800) 747-5401. 

Donors must be at least 17-years-old or 16 with parental permission through www.bloodcenter.org and weigh more than 100 pounds. A photo I.D. is required to donate.  

On Monday, the Tarble Art Center exhibits Working Artists, Touch Me and Artist-in-Residence Rafael E. Vera will take place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Tarble hosts an annual program to allow people to encounter and appreciate different arts through the presentation of performances, programs and education.

On Tuesday, Strong S.H.E. is presenting Black Women and Reality TV… Is It for the Culture in the University Ballroom in the MLK Jr. Union at 6 p.m. 

On Tuesday, there will be a self massage and relaxation event at Andrews Hall lobby at 7 p.m. 

A COVID-19 booster and vaccine clinic will be available on Wednesday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the University Ballroom in the Union.  

The Charleston library will be hosting Exploring the Land of Lincoln at 1 p.m. at the library on Wednesday.  

Exploring the Land of Lincoln is a combination of history and a travel guide of Illinois. The book allows readers to go through different parts of the state.

Charles Titus, history assistant professor, can answer any questions regarding the event via [email protected].

A ReST session is taking place 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. in the Effingham room in the Union on Wednesday.  

The ReST session is a resiliency training program curriculum that helps build coping skills and promote thriving.  

On Wednesday, the National Pan-Hellenic Council is hosting a Black history trivia night in the Martinsville room in the Union at 7 p.m. 

On Thursday, there will be a self-care corner from 10 a.m. to noon in Stevenson Hall.

The Department of Public Health and Nutrition is hosting Soul Food: Nourishment for the Culture on Thursday from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. in room 2309 in Klehm Hall.  

What is Afro-Latinidad? is in the Charleston/Mattoon room in the Union. The event will have two parts.

The first will be an informational presentation about Afro-Latinidad. The second part will be a fishbowl discussion regarding what was learned.  

The Talisk performance in the Dvorak Concert Hall in Doudna will be taking place this Thursday at 7:30 p.m. 

Art Speaks? With Rafael E. Vera will be taking place on Thursday in Tarble from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. 

Rafael E. Vera will give an evening presentation on his visual art practice.  

The event will take place at the e-gallery at the Tarble Arts Center. The event is open to the public. If there are any questions, contact [email protected].

Hello Dali! is at 8 p.m. in the Buzzard Auditorium on Thursday as well.  

The 2022 NAACP Image Awards will take place on Friday in the Grand Ballroom in the Union at 7 p.m. 

This event is a celebratory ball and award show, which applauds impactful black students and staff on campus.  

Tickets will be priced at $16. If there are any additional questions, contact [email protected].

The Black Men in White Coats movie screening is on Saturday in Doudna from 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. with pizza served from 1:30 p.m. to 2 p.m.

Cam’ron Hardy can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].