Black Card Revoked provides fun game to teach Black culture Monday

Vivica+Coleman%2C+a+senior+kinesiology+major%2C+answers+a+question+at+the+Black+Card+Revoked+event+hosted+by+Theta+Zeta+Chapter+of+Delta+Sigma+Theta+Sorority+Inc.+on+Monday+evening.+

Vivica Coleman, a senior kinesiology major, answers a question at the Black Card Revoked event hosted by Theta Zeta Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. on Monday evening.

Rob Le Cates, Assistant Photo Editor

The Theta Zeta Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. hosted Black Card Revoked, a game about popular American Black culture, Monday evening in the Phipps Lecture Hall in the Physical Science Building. 

The Jeopardy-style game consisted of categories like culture, history, films, music and sports. 

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. Treasurer Jacqueline Williams, a senior kinesiology major, said that the importance of this event was to bring people together and educate them on Black culture. 

“Our Black culture is a very rich culture, so it doesn’t matter where you come from, what state or city; if you are African American, we can relate on something,” Williams said. “I feel like this event was for bringing the students on EIU’s campus around something they can relate to.” 

Williams thought the importance of doing this event during Black History Month was to educate people about Black history and culture. 

“There was history and culture questions in the game, but there were some fun things that we incorporated in there [too],” Williams said. “I think it brought light to Black culture and history, involving it in a way that’s fun and interactive.” 

Aaliyah James, a junior HR management major, said that she enjoyed the event and being around others. 

“I think the event went really well,” James said. “Honestly, just to see everyone cooperating, having a fun time and being able to laugh, was nice.” 

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. Secretary Raiven Jones, a senior biochemistry major, recalls certain things from her childhood that were in the game. 

“A lot of us can relate to the things on the slides, especially from the culture or music,” Jones said. “We’ve heard those songs being played when we were younger or when our moms were playing it.” 

Jones said that she believes that a lot of Black people can relate to the game because it is just about their lives. 

“So just overall, being in a spirit with people who are like-minded as you, we all have the same skin tone and can connect that way, but we also connect through this event with the Black Card Revoked because it is literally about our lives,” Jones said. 

Vivica Coleman, a senior kinesiology major, went to the event to learn about the Black culture within genres like history, film, music and sports and found she related to a lot of others. 

“I did not know that a lot of people kind of shared that same lifestyle, the same culture, the same upbringing as me,” Coleman said. 

Coleman said that it is important for people to know different cultures and be able to relate to one another. 

“It feels like, you know, you’re not alone in this society, this world,” Coleman said. “You can honestly have some type of joy in sharing what you go through.” 

Although Coleman lost, she enjoyed herself and hopes to attend more events in the future.   

“You know, I’m sad to have lost, I got my Black card revoked, but it’s okay,” Coleman said. “We need to have more gatherings like this, it’s really nice.” 

Jones states the importance of events like this, to grow the advocacy for Black culture. 

“We’re doing things impacting the world today because our culture is being implemented throughout the world,” Jones said. “We started from the bottom, and now we are here.” 

Rob Le Cates can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].