Top women’s basketball performances for OVC so far

Eastern+guard+Lariah+Washington+passes+the+ball+into+the+paint+in+Easterns+game+against+Evansville+on+Nov.+20+in+Lantz+Arena.+Washington+had+25+points+in+the+game%2C+which+Eastern+won+85-74+in+double+overtime.+

Rob Le Cates | The Daily Eastern News

Eastern guard Lariah Washington passes the ball into the paint in Eastern’s game against Evansville on Nov. 20 in Lantz Arena. Washington had 25 points in the game, which Eastern won 85-74 in double overtime.

Adam Tumino, Sports Editor

Through the first three weeks of the season, there have been some strong individual performances from players on the women’s basketball teams in the OVC. 

Some players appear more frequently than others when it comes to the top performers so far this season, and four players in particular seem to be standing out above the rest when it comes to single-game accomplishments. 

Lariah Washington, Eastern

Washington, a junior guard, had a game against Evnasville that ranks among the top offensive performances in the OVC this season. 

She had 25 points, tied for the second-most in the conference this season, and also made and attempted the most free throws in a game this season, shooting 10-of-13 from the line. 

Washington ranks sixth in the conference in scoring with 15 points per game.

Lauren Carter, Murray State

Redshirt-junior guard Lauren Carter has put up some strong performances this season despite starting on what is currently the lowest-scoring offense in the OVC. 

She was one of three players to make 10 or more shots in a game on Nov. 19 against Marshall. She also had 17 rebounds in a game Nov. 21 against Midway, the most of any player in the OVC. 

She ranks eighth in the conference in scoring with 13.3 points per game and her 8.8 rebounds per game rank second. 

Macey Turley, Murray State

Senior guard Macey Turley is the owner of the highest-scoring game in the OVC this season with a 30-point performance against Cumberlands on Nov. 15. 

Turley is part of the reason the Racers are off to a 5-1 start this season. 

She also made seven three-pointers against Cumberlands, the most of any OVC player this season. 

Turley ranks third in the conference in scoring with 15.8 points per game. She is also averaging three three pointers per game, the most in the OVC so far this season. 

Katelyn Young, Murray State

The top player in the OVC so far this season has been Murray State’s sophomore forward Katelyn Young. 

She is tied for the second-most points in a game this season with 25. She also made 11 shots against Mississippi Valley on Nov. 23. 

She also had 14 rebounds on Nov. 9 against Asbury, the second most of any player in the conference this season. 

Young has three double-doubles this season as well while the rest of the conference has nine combined. 

She leads the OVC in scoring with 21 points per game and rebounding with 9.5 rebounds per game. 

Adam Tumino can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].