COLUMN: ‘Animal Crossing’s’ new update is golden

Elise Keane, Columnist

Quarantine had just started, and I was eager for something to do. All of my friends were talking about this new game that released on Nintendo Switch called “Animal Crossing: New Horizons.” I remembered playing a version when I was a kid and I loved it, so I figured I would give it a shot. Using my leftover Christmas money, I bought a Switch Lite and “Animal Crossing.” This game was the best escape from the terrifying world around me. It was also a great way to visit with friends as I couldn’t see them in person.

The game was fun, but I quickly learned that I needed more objectives in order to keep playing. As I started buying more games for my switch, “Animal Crossing” was moved to the back burner. However, a new update was released recently that reignited my love for the game.  

This update added a lot of things that made the game much more enjoyable. My biggest complaint about the game was that it was completely freeform and there weren’t many goals to accomplish. Now, there are new goals every day and much more interaction with those who live on your island. Just today, I delivered presents and went on a scavenger hunt with my villagers. I am also on a hunt for a character named Brewster who will create a café on my island.  

The update also helped alleviate some of the annoyance of the game. In order to go up the different levels on the island you needed to use a ladder or spend an exorbitant amount of money on building a ramp. This was one of the most annoying parts of the game, but now you can place ladders down permanently at a smaller cost.  

There was another update that you had to pay for called “Happy Home Paradise DLC” where you build villagers their dream vacation homes. This gives you a lot of inspiration for all the potential ways to decorate your island and home. It has been a lot of fun to see all the different ways to make the things around the island pretty.  

All of this made me decide to pick the game up again. After all of my villagers guilt tripped me for being gone for a year and one month, I could finally settle back in. I forgot that I had stopped playing in the middle of a complete island renovation, so I had to fix the disaster before I could really start enjoying the update. As soon as everything was back in order, I fell in love with “Animal Crossing” again. If you have the game, I encourage you to download the update and give it another chance. You might just like the game even more now.

Elise Keane is a sophomore neuroscience major. They can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].