COLUMN: Television series ‘Chuck’ is binge-worthy favorite

Maya Kurth, Columnist

I don’t watch a lot of television shows or movies because I sleep through them, but at the recommendation of some close friends, I decided to watch the series “Chuck.” Going into the show, I knew absolutely nothing about it. In fact, I had watched maybe two episodes with them from the middle of the show and slept through the majority of both episodes. 

However, this five-season long show has something for everyone: romance, action, comedy, drama, and mystery. I am almost finished with the show and there isn’t an episode I haven’t loved. 

Chuck is about a guy who got kicked out of Stanford and works at a “Buy More” in the Nerd Herd (think Geek Squad), but due to extenuating circumstances that play out through the entire show, Chuck is forced to become a spy for both the C.I.A. and the N.S.A.  

Chuck is saddled with a C.I.A. agent (Sarah Walker) and an N.S.A. agent (John Casey) to make sure that he is working equally and reliably with both agencies.  

One of the main points of the show is that while being a super-spy, Chuck still has to live his normal life and cannot let anyone around him know that he is living as the government’s greatest weapon. This is difficult as he lives with his sister (Ellie) and spends all of his time with his co-worker and best friend (Morgan). 

The show is written so that there is a new villain every season so that the plot doesn’t get boring. The relationships of the main characters are always changing, but you feel connected to them in a way that never gets old. 

Also, the side characters (agents, friends, family, and Buy More employees) have their own web of relationships that advance as well, so you really get to know all of them. Furthermore, all of those characters are connected to one another which makes for excellent sub-plot twists.  

I love this because I have felt like those who are not the main characters can feel distant from the plot and those who are being focused on in television shows, but they make a point to have a number of scenes that don’t include the main characters.  

Although I am not finished with Chuck (I’m on the fourth season), I am really invested and plan on finishing it when I am able to find the time to watch anything. Fingers crossed that Thanksgiving break will give me this opportunity.  

Unfortunately, the only platform that Chuck is available to stream on (without purchase) currently is Amazon Prime Video. Either way, it will be the first television show I have finished in around five years and I will continue to recommend it to anyone who will listen.  

Maya Kurth is a sophomore public relations major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].