COLUMN: The best snacks if you live in a dorm

Ellen+Dooley

Ellen Dooley

Ellen Dooley, Columnist

Dorm living can be rough – especially when it comes to food. You probably have a mini fridge that can barely hold a twelve pack of pop and a couple bottles of water. A lot of people have some snacks in their room like granola bars, chips, or other snacks along those lines. 

Dining halls tend to have the same old meals that you probably ate last week for the umpteenth time. You are probably looking for new snacks or meals to spice up your dorm cooking. Well, I’ve got the list for you. These snacks can be found at the local Walmart or grocery store.   

The first snack is Cheez-Its. Sometimes I feel like they are underrated. Cheez-Its are the perfect snack for on the go or running to class. They are not too heavy, but if you go through half the box, you might not be feeling the best. If you are a bargain shopper or on a budget, they make knock-off brands of them. They are probably labeled as “cheese baked crackers.” It does not specifically have to be Cheez-Its; you can choose any type of cracker or cracker type snacks! 

Cereal is always a good choice. You can eat it dry or with milk. Cereal can be bought in bulk and in a million different flavors. It is another thing you can throw in your bag in-between classes or on your way to a practice. Cereal is good because there are so many different types. Do you not like fruity cereal? There are plenty that are not fruity. Not a big chocolate fan? No problem! Cereal is another budget friendly snack.  

I feel like this snack isn’t really classified as a “snack” per say, but you can never go wrong with a sandwich. Sandwiches can easily be customized to fit any cravings or allergy needs. You can use lunch meat, different nut butters, jam or jelly, or even different types of greens! Basic white bread is not too expensive, but your toppings may add up. Lunch meat from a deli may add up, but the pre-packaged stuff is usually just as bad or maybe a little better. It all depends on shortages or what stores decide to charge.  

Tired of the dining hall food? Try these alternatives. There is many different types of canned soup or pastas. There are brands that make more elaborate soups or more basic soups. The cans also come in different sizes. You can get bigger cans if you eat more or smaller ones if you are not a heavy eater. There are also different types of pastas that come in cans. You can have ravioli, beefaroni and other pastas that are similar. These options are great for meals or a midnight snack. 

There are many more options out there for snacks or meals. These are couple that I found that went over well. Happy snacking! 

Ellen Dooley is a freshman special education major. She can be contacted at 581-2812 or [email protected].