Volleyball team goes 0-2 against Eagles over weekend

Eastern+freshman+outside+hitter+TaKenya+Stafford+%28left%29+receives+a+serve+in+a+match+against+Morehead+State+on+Oct.+22+in+Lantz+Arena.+Stafford+had+6+kills+in+the+match%2C+a+3-0+loss+for+Eastern.+

Adam Tumino | The Daily Eastern News

Eastern freshman outside hitter TaKenya Stafford (left) receives a serve in a match against Morehead State on Oct. 22 in Lantz Arena. Stafford had 6 kills in the match, a 3-0 loss for Eastern.

Adam Tumino, Sports Editor

The Eastern volleyball hosted Morehead State for a pair of matches over Homecoming Weekend. 

The Panthers dropped both matches to the Eagles, falling to 0-11 in conference play. 

Morehead State is now 9-2 in conference play and is currently on a nine-match winning streak, the longest active streak in the OVC.

Eastern fell behind early in the match Friday afternoon, losing the first two sets by scores of 25-11 and 25-13. 

The Panthers had just 13 kills in the first two sets combined, but were able to put that behind them in a competitive third set which they would eventually lose 30-28. 

They had 15 kills in the third set and hit .204. Morehead State hit. 228 in the set with 21 kills, including one from Abby Hulsman that won the match. 

Hulsman finished second on the team with 9 kills. The Eagles were led by Olivia Lohmeier with 15 kills. She also hit .419 in the match. 

Eastern was led by Kylie Michael and Kameryn Sillmon with 7 kills each. 

The Panthers came out Saturday and won the first set 25-23. They then lost three sets in a row 25-13, 25-18 and 25-14 to drop the match.

Eastern held Morehead State to a .122 hitting percentage in the first set. The Eagles responded in set two with a .621 hitting percentage, recording 20 kills with just 2 attack errors. 

Sillmon led the Panthers in kills again, recording 12 with a team-high hitting percentage of .269. 

Morehead State had three players with double digit kills, led by McKenzee Wagener with 15. She also led all players with a .462 hitting percentage in the match. 

Next on the schedule for Eastern is a midweek match on the road against Southern Illinois-Edwardsville on Tuesday night. The match is set to begin at 6 p.m. 

Adam Tumino can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].