Swimming teams pick up weekend wins

Eastern+sophomore+Jackson+Penny+competes+in+the+backstroke+segment+of+the+200+yard+individual+medley+in+a+meet+against+Evansville+on+Oct.+9+at+Padovan+Pool.+The+mens+swimming+team+lost+the+meet+125-76.+

Adam Tumino | The Daily Eastern News

Eastern sophomore Jackson Penny competes in the backstroke segment of the 200 yard individual medley in a meet against Evansville on Oct. 9 at Padovan Pool. The men’s swimming team lost the meet 125-76.

Adam Tumino, Sports Editor

The Eastern men’s and women’s swimming teams were on the road over Homecoming Weekend, each picking up a win in a meet against Valparaiso. 

It was the first win of the season for the Panthers, as well as the first win at Eastern for head coach Tyler Donges.

It was the second meet for Eastern, which previously hosted Evansville on Oct. 9. 

The men’s team won 167-95 and had 11 first-place finishes. 

The team of Olivia Viele, Ashley Glesing, Kaylan Ottosen and Camryn Lewis picked up a win in the 200-yard medley relay to open the meet.

Viele also placed first in the 100-yard backstroke and Glesing won the 200-yard backstroke. 

Ottosen also picked up first-place finishes in the 50-yard freestyle and the 100-yard butterfly. She also teamed up with Lewis, Autumn Grinter and Sabrina Chu to take first place in the 200-yard freestyle relay. 

Grinter placed first individually in the 100-yard freestyle, an event she also won in the meet against Evansville. 

Emma Ballantyne got two first-place finishes, winning the 500-yard freestyle and the 200-yard individual medley. 

Kennedy Darensbough won the 1,000-yard freestyle, Maddie Pittman won the 200-yard freestyle. 

The men’s team won 155-107 and had eight first-place finishes in the meet. 

They also opened up the meet with a win in the 200-yard medley relay, with the team of Forrest Baumgartner, Collin Feliciano, Alex Adams and Payton Buse pacing the competition. 

Baumgartner and Adams also picked up individual first-place finished, with Baumgartner winning the 100-yard backstroke and Adams winning the 200-yard backstroke. 

Freshman Connor Colston got his first collegiate win in the 200-yard freestyle and then followed it up with a win in the 100-yard freestyle. 

Jarod Farrow won the 500-yard freestyle for Eastern and Dismas Dillion won the 50-yard freestyle. 

The team of Buse, Jacob Nichols, Colston, and Baumgartner won the 200-yard freestyle relay to close the meet. 

Both teams will be back in action at home Friday when the Panthers host Ball State at 4 p.m. from Padovan Pool.

Adam Tumino can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].