CORDIS’ ‘Condition Blue’ held at Doudna Tuesday

Ryan Meyer, Multimedia Reporter

On Tuesday, the Dvorak Concert Hall will host CORDIS as they perform their show, “Condition Blue.”

The Boston-based five-piece chamber ensemble, directed by Richard Grimes, is taking the stage for their second-ever performance of the multimedia performance featuring original music and water-based visuals.

Grimes said that while the show has been performed in front of an audience once before, Tuesday’s performance is the first on the road.

“This is the first touring performance of it and we’re still learning, we’re learning that fine line between entertainment and art,” Grimes said.

The band features Grimes as artistic director and playing the cimbalom, Jeremiah Costa on keyboard and water harmonium, Hayes Cummings on guitar, Jeremy Harman on the cello and Andrew Beall on percussion.

CORDIS was also the musical support for last week’s “le Cirque Esprit.”

Dennis Malak, the director of programming, publicity and promotion for Doudna, said that the music and the process taken to create and perform it will be interesting for audience members.

“You can really see how kind of the journey to developing music is made, like so there was one that was the journey, the whole thing was just for the cirque, and now this one is all for the water, so I think it’ll be interesting, especially for a lot of people,” Malak said.

Malak said that the relationship between art and science is something he’s excited about the show depicting.

“When myself and my predecessor met with him, we really talked about, and we really thought this was going to be a good kind of showing of the true link between the arts and the sciences and how they are not mutually exclusive areas, they play off of each other very well,” Malak said. “Sciences are inspired by the arts and then the arts are more inspired by the science of everything, so we just thought it was going to be a great way to showcase that, and with some really good, unique, original music.”

Grimes said the performing nerves set in at times where the music opens up to improvisation, since he prefers to have his music played the way it was composed.

“The way the music is written, there are enough moments where you don’t know what’s going to happen, and you have to be listening and looking and even though it is all composed, there’s a lot of improvisation that just organically is necessary in order to get through this stuff,” Grimes said.

Grimes takes comfort in his chemistry with his bandmates, and it’s saved shows like the first performance of “Condition Blue” in Vermont, where the lighting made it so Grimes couldn’t see his instrument.

“That’s one way, I guess if there’s any sleep that I get at night, it’s because we are sort of bulletproof on that level,” Grimes said.

“Condition Blue” kicks off at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $20 for general admission, $15 for Eastern faculty and staff and $10 for students.

Ryan Meyer can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].