COLUMN: A new Mont-era

Maya Kurth, Columnist

For just releasing his debut album, Lil Nas X has done really well for himself. Chart-topping singles have led to a lot of buzz around the release of “Montero.” I like Lil Nas X, but I’m not the biggest fan.  

Though I might not have listened to the album on my own, my friends and the marketing inspired me to listen to it. The album was very heavily promoted on every platform that I am regularly on, and I had heard the singles which made me think that I would really like the album. 

I enjoyed the album as a whole for the songs, but not as a holistic work. The album felt very disjointed, and a lot of the songs didn’t connect. While they were good, it felt like the album was missing a theme.  

This has been happening more often recently with albums. Just recently I found that Kacey Musgraves’ fifth album “Star-Crossed” had a similar issue. She was going for a story arc that just didn’t quite land; “Montero” has the same issue.  

This feels like two albums, if not more. I understand that this is Lil Nas X’s first album, but he had a developed sound as an artist that he really moved away from. The songs were good, just not as a unit.  

I don’t want to put Lil Nas X in a box (especially because he focuses heavily on breaking barriers and moving away from expectations), but I feel like if there were going to be such a stark difference in sounds, splitting them up might have been a better decision. 

Though it may feel that I keep harping on the same point, I feel very strongly about albums being cohesive and feeling like you can listen to them without fear of a stark mood change. 

I was surprised by the number of features, but I enjoyed all of them. The variety that Elton John added was really nice, as he was the only artist I was shocked to see. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy “One of Me.”  

The look of the album was beautiful and felt really out there, but I couldn’t fully appreciate it because I can’t stop equating it to a Barbie movie. The album cover, promotional shots, and his Met Gala outfit are all pointing in a fresh, bright look for Lil Nas X, which wouldn’t be out of his wheelhouse.  

Overall, I’m excited to see where he goes with this look and newer sound, but I hope to see different “eras” separated in the future. The album has done really well and deserves all of its success. 

Maya Kurth is a sophomore public relations major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].