Men’s soccer team plays Green Bay to 1-1 tie

The+Eastern+mens+soccer+team+huddles+before+taking+the+field+for+the+second+half+against+Green+Bay+Tuesday+at+Lakeside+Field.+The+Panthers+and+Phoenix+played+to+a+1-1+tie.+

Ryan Meyer

The Eastern men’s soccer team huddles before taking the field for the second half against Green Bay Tuesday at Lakeside Field. The Panthers and Phoenix played to a 1-1 tie.

Adam Tumino, Sports Editor

The Eastern men’s soccer team played Green Bay on a rainy Lakeside Field Tuesday afternoon. 

The match ended in a 1-1 tie, giving the Panthers a record of 0-5-1 heading into conference play this weekend. 

Green Bay is now 1-4-2 on the season.

The Phoenix jumped ahead early when, in the 2nd minute, junior forward Ethan Hoard got a shot behind Eastern goalkeeper Jonathan Burke. 

The match would remain scoreless for over an hour of gameplay until the Panthers tied it up midway through the second half. 

In the 66th minute, sophomore defender Brennan Rzewuski netted his first career goal on an assist from redshirt senior forward Davi Girardi. 

The match went scoreless for the remainder of regulation and both overtime periods. Green Bay recorded a shot in the first overtime period, but neither team got off another. 

Eastern had a scoring chance with just about 30 seconds remaining in the second overtime when the ball crossed in front of the net and right by freshman forward Prince Okonny. He was unable to get a shot off, however, and the period soon came to an end. 

Eastern outshot Green Bay in the match, recording 8 shots to the Phoenix’s 6. Each team had 4 shots on goal. 

Redshirt senior Jonas Castelhano and junior forward Lenni Kirschner each recorded 2 shots for Eastern while Hoard got off 3 shots for Green Bay, all of which were on goal.

Both goalkeepers, Burke for Eastern and Tobias Jahn for Green Bay, recorded 3 saves. 

Eastern will be back in action Sept. 25 at Lakeside Field for the conference opener against St. Thomas. 

It will be Eastern’s first matchup with the Tommies, who made the jump from Division III to Division I last year. 

Adam Tumino can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].