Board of Trustees to meet Friday

Analicia Haynes

Eastern President David Glassman talks during an emergency Board of Trustees meeting on Thursday in the University Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union. The meeting was live streamed to the public amid COVID-19 concerns and the photo is a screenshot of that livestream.

Kyara Morales-Rodriguez, Associate News Editor

The Board of Trustees will be meeting at 1 p.m. Friday in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union to discuss the new contract for the employees in The American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Local 981. 

AFSCME, the union representing Eastern’s building service, kitchen, clerical and technical workers reached an agreement with Eastern which states that they will receive a retroactive 1.5% increase, a 1.25% increase in 2021 and a 1.25% increase in 2022.  

The contract also states each employee will receive a $150 lump sum payment not added to base wages.  

The Board of Trustees will vote on the agreement and were recommended to approve the item. 

The board will also be voting on the proposed revisions to board regulation.  

The proposed revision states that “all university facilities will be closed when Juneteenth falls on a weekday, as observed by 5 ILCS 490/63.” 

The revision also states that those who are contractually required to work on an observed holiday when facilities are closed will be able to take paid time off if the revision is approved.  

The board will also vote on a request from WEIU-TV for the replacement of their current media production and newsroom management system.  

Once the contract has been fully executed, the initial term of the agreement shall be for three years. The cost for the initial term is $305,080.50.  

The request states that “the price includes both software licensing and maintenance for the term of the agreement.”  

The justification for this request is because “the current system is at the end of its life and is no longer supported by the manufacturer. The equipment and software purchased will be similar to the systems that students will use in the professional workplace.” 

The board will also be voting on the board’s responsibilities for intercollegiate athletics.  

The statement says that: 

“1) Responsibility for the administration of the athletics program has been delegated to the Chief Executive Officer of the institution. 

2) The Chief Executive Officer has the mandate and support of the board to operate a program of integrity in full compliance with NCAA, OVC, and all other relevant rules and regulations.  

3) The Chief Executive Officer, in conjunction with the Director of Athletics and Faculty Athletic Representative, determines how the institutional vote shall be cast on issues of athletics policy presented to the NCAA and the Ohio Valley Conference.”  

Under the president’s report, a discussion will be had on the Title IX Report and on intercollegiate athletics.   

At the meeting, there will also be reports from constituencies, one from Chair of Faculty Senate Todd Bruns and President of Staff Senate Jody Stone.  

The board will also be discussing a summary of purchases and exempt purchases as listed: 

• $481,917.40 in university property insurance from Mesirow Insurance Services, Inc.  
  • $200,000 in copiers from Konica Minolta Inc.  
  • $200,000 in membership dues from the Public Broadcasting Service.  
  • $185,000 in funding for the Arbiter System from the Ohio Valley Conference.  
  • $150,000 in edibles and non-edibles for Chick-Fil-A from the Quality Custom Distribution Service.  
  • $135,321.74 in Oracle Enterprise Maintenance from Mythics.  
  • $132,045.18 in D2L Software License from D2L Ltd.  

An in-depth discussion will be had on the university’s deposit and investment report for FY 2021.  

Kyara Morales-Rodriguez can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].