Should we all become ‘half-maskers’ now?

Ethan Schobernd, Campus Reporter

The COVID-19 pandemic has made life challenging for Americans. Fortunately, this year has seen a tremendous number of people receiving their vaccinations. Not only do they reduce the chances of catching the coronavirus, but it also reduces the symptoms if you do transmit the virus. But still, nobody wants to get sick in the first place. That is why we wear masks to protect us. 

However, when amid a pandemic, people still neglect the masking policy, regardless of the risks they are taking. By neglect, I not only mean not putting masks on indoors at all hours, but also my biggest pet peeve of all is people wearing masks under their noses, or what I like to refer to as is “half-maskers.” 

As I walk through buildings around campus, I am eager to see old friends and familiar faces, but the faces I am not so enthused about, are the ones that have their noses showing. 

According to the State of Illinois Coronavirus Response, COVID-19 is spread, “Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.” When inhaled, those droplets move directly into the lungs, therefore causing repertory complications. 

So, what does that mean? It means that when your nose is left uncovered, you are prone to inhaling the virus. The goal of wearing masks is to reduce contact with the disease, but the whole purpose is completely contradicted if the face is not fully covered. 

How can such a simple task be so difficult to follow? I still cannot find a viable answer to this question. Do people wish to play devil’s advocate to see what happens? Who knows, but I personally would not like to play that sort of game. 

To add even more caution, people who are vaccinated are still at risk of contracting COVID-19. The vaccines are not meant to make you fully immune to the virus but are created to help people’s bodies fight it off. 

Millions of coronavirus cases have been reported in the United States. So, how can we stop this ongoing pandemic? First, wear your mask properly! I realize it can be annoying or seems like a bother, but they truly do help. Second, if you are not vaccinated, then you should get the vaccine as soon as you can. And finally, just play it safe and reduce the amount of people you have encounters with.

I know everything has opened up a lot more on campus since last year, but if we don’t wise up and socialize safely, we will be back to being shut down again. Parties and games are a part of the college experience and is something that we should all enjoy, but we are all adults and need to be responsible for our actions and activities. 

I want everyone to have fun this year and we are all here to get through school to move on to the next chapter in our lives. But just remember, one person’s refusal to mask-up properly could ruin everyone else’s experiences as well. Let’s all do our parts as productive citizens and wear our masks properly because the smallest things can make the biggest difference.

Ethan Schobernd is a sophomore journalism major. He can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].