Daylight Saving Time set for this weekend

Ryan Meyer, Staff Reporter

Daylight Saving Time falls on March 14 this year, and clocks are to be moved at 2 a.m. an hour ahead to 3 a.m.

The turning ahead of the clocks happens on the second Sunday of March and lasts until clocks are turned back on the first Sunday of November.

“Spring forward, fall back” is a good way to remember how the clocks move and when.

According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, “the U.S. had daylight saving time as early as 1918,” with policy changes occurring since then that largely concern when DST starts and ends. The article also states that the U.S. Department of Transportation oversees DST and time zones.

Every state adjusts the clock twice a year except for Hawaii and Arizona.

There are arguments for and against both DST and standard time detailed in an article by the State Journal Register that reported on a 2019 attempt by high school students to permanently put Illinois on Daylight Saving Time.

Former Illinois Sen. Andy Manar is quoted in the article as saying the students “made a compelling case on why the arbitrary nature of changing time twice a year doesn’t make sense anymore in our society,” and also mentioned the impact that two clock changes a year can have on health and productivity.

The same article shows Illinois Sen. Linda Holmes agreeing that there should be a change of practice, but rather than remaining in permanent Daylight Saving Time, the state should be in year-round standard time for more specific health reasons.

“There’s been a lot of medical studies on this and over time Daylight Saving Time eliminates bright morning light that is crucial to synchronizing your biological clock, possibly putting people at an increased risk heart attacks, strokes and other harmful effects of sleep deprivation,” Holmes said.

The U.S. Department of Transportation lists reasons for the existence of DST that include the conservation of energy, the fact that there is more time during the day to travel, which reduces traffic accidents and the reduction of crime, since there is less opportunity for crime when people are out during the day.

Regardless of any bills passing through the Illinois house and Senate regarding DST, the federal government would still need to approve any changes, according to the NCSL article.

What is certain is that Sunday will see the state, and most others, turn the clocks an hour ahead in the early hours of the morning.

Ryan Meyer can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].