Eastern to host job fair Tuesday afternoon

Heather Suarez, Staff Reporter

Eastern will host a virtual job fair from Oct. 6 from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Diane Smith, marketing specialist and career advisor at career services talked about how the job fair will work online and how students can prepare for it.

Smith said in previous years the job fairs went from 9-4 p.m. in person, but due to COVID-19, it will be done remotely on Handshake.

She said that students wanting to participate in this year’s job fair should get ready ahead of time by preparing a resume and signing up early to both the fair and different employers so they can see potential candidates before the day of the fair. She said she wants to emphasize the importance of being on time to the meetings.

“The difference with COVID is traditional fairs, students could come and go during the time. This is going to be a little more structured,” Smith said.

Since the fair will be virtual with different times rather than all being in one place, each employer can set their schedule to be there all day or at certain times, so it is important to pay attention to each employer and figure out what times they will be there.

Smith went on to say that employers can choose between two types of sessions: group sessions, a ten-minute one-on-one, or both, giving the employer a variety of options.

She said students participating in these one-on-one sessions should dress formally and be in a quiet place because these interviews will be virtually face to face.

“We recommend that underclassmen participate in this fair because this is a really good opportunity for them to explore career opportunities and ask questions to the employers,” Smith said. “It is not as intimidating as a traditional fair.”

The job fair is focused mainly on internships and full-time jobs, rather than part-time. Over 30 employers from around the United States will be here for the event and are all listed on Handshake’s website.

Some of the employers can narrow their criteria by only allowing certain majors or year to apply, but some are open to talking to any major or year.

“Even if there is an employer that they think is not a fit for my major, still talk with them because there could be some opportunities that they didn’t consider,” Smith said.

Students may worry about finding a job during or after COVID, and this is an opportunity to network, even if employers and student can’t be face to face.

“The underclassmen benefit from learning to research employers, learning to talk with them, asking questions, and exploring opportunities,” Smith said. “For the upperclassmen, they will be looking for internships and full-time jobs and this event provides both.”

She said one of the most important things to think about is signing up as soon as possible, so both the student can be prepared and get a certain spot as well as the employer so they can adequately prepare for the event and make sure they have enough times open. The process is a little different from last year to now.

“Employers can also message you through the platform, ask questions and even follow up after the fair,” Smith said.

Heather Suarez can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].