BLM week underway at Eastern

Shyra+Bluminberg+%28left%29%2Csenior+secondary+English+education+major%2C+and+Morgan+Calvin%2C+a+graduate+student+studying+student+public+policy+and+administration%2C+participated+in+the+%E2%80%9CChalk+it+Out%E2%80%9D+event.+The+event+was+the+first+homage+to+the+Black+Lives+Matter+Week.++%E2%80%9CWe+want+to+make+people+feel+welcome+and+make+their+blackness+feel+welcome.+We+want+to+start+the+week+with+some+positivity%2C+Bluminberg+said.+

Zach Berger | The Daily Eastern News

Shyra Bluminberg (left),senior secondary English education major, and Morgan Calvin, a graduate student studying student public policy and administration, participated in the “Chalk it Out” event. The event was the first homage to the Black Lives Matter Week. “We want to make people feel welcome and make their blackness feel welcome. We want to start the week with some positivity,” Bluminberg said.

Corryn Brock, News Editor

Black Lives Matter Week kicked off at Eastern following a summer full of BLM protests throughout the country.

Morgan Colvin, a graduate student who studies public administration and public policy, and Shyra Bluminberg, a senior secondary English education major, brought the discussion back to campus after efforts two years ago to fly a BLM flag on Eastern’s campus.

The week started with a chalking event meant to spread awareness about BLM.

Bluminberg said she wants the campus to know BLM is here in Charleston.

“We’re letting everyone know we’re here and (BLM) is coming to Eastern whether they like it or not, Black Lives Matter is going to be here and we’re here to stay,” Bluminberg said. “(Our goal) is to be that voice for black students on campus.”

Despite a new internal governing policy made in July, that says “the University and Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) may only chalk on sidewalks and the Doudna Mellin steps to promote on-campus co-curricular activities and other sponsored events. The University reserves the right to clean sidewalks on a regular basis,” the women say they are not worried about the university washing away anything they write in chalk around campus.

“If they wash it off then that’s a message to the students on campus and it just shows you that they’re not really in solidarity with what we’re doing or with Black Lives Matter,” Bluminberg said. “This is even more pressing because of what happened (Sunday) in Kenosha, Wisconsin with Jacob Blake. This is who we’re doing it for and if they can’t see that it says a lot about the administration and how they feel about their students.”

Colvin said there is a point to be proven.

“It’s easier said than done and (University President David) Glassman has continuously kept saying that if he can then he will, if there’s an opportunity he will (take it). So this is an opportunity for him to do something, and if he doesn’t take it that will be unfortunate and it will be sending a message to students fairly early,” Colvin said. “If that happens we will have to be responsive to that and we will have to see what the campus wants.”

She said she and Bluminberg would like to end a yearly cycle they have seen.

“What I see is a lot of Black students feel alone or that the campus doesn’t really care about them or that the school doesn’t really care about them and us being in our RSOs we try to make them feel welcome and more at home but it’s always being put on the students instead of the university and ultimately it’s the university’s responsibility to also take care of their Black students,” Colvin said. “…We want to be able to start those conversations and come up with solutions because it’s kind of tiring going to event after event and preaching to the choir. It’s like where are the solutions coming from? Our Black students are suffering.”

Colvin added she hopes Black students look at the chalk around campus and feel welcome.

“Hopefully they’ll feel like ‘wow that’s cool’ and ‘maybe my Black voice does matter here’ earlier on,” Colvin said.

The women said they are open to anyone who wants to get involved with the movement and suggested they reach out via their “BLM at EIU” social media pages or through their emails.

“They can come our way, we’re looking for people. Right now it’s mostly talking about police brutality and things like that but there are more things that are happening to the black community and we want to address those issues not only on campus but when they go home,” Colvin said.

On Tuesday participants are be encouraged to put a piece of tape of their mouth with Black Lives Matter written on it to signify that they will not be silenced.

Wednesday and Thursday’s protesting will encourage black men to share stories of discrimination and pictures holding signs stating “I Am A Man,” and black women to do the same with the phrase “I Am Her.”

Friday’s event will be “I’m Black and I’m Proud,” and students are asked to wear their Black Lives Matter or “black excellence” apparel.

Corryn Brock can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].