Word of advice: do not lose focus

Rayshaun Stevens, Columnist

Since I’ve been back from winter break, it has been hard trying to keep myself motivated in school. 

When I returned the first week, I had to go home immediately because I had surgery. After returning once again and starting to work, I began losing sight of what was really important. I thought since I did academically well last semester that it would mean I do not have to work as hard for this one. As time went on, I lost the passion for myself to even get out of bed in the mornings. I would skip class for days on end, and hang out with friends instead. I told myself everyday that I would start going to classes, especially since I’m paying for it. 

Asking for help wasn’t an option for me; I felt too embarrassed to ask for help from anybody. I didn’t realize that my absences and lack of participation would affect my grade until last week. I was never prepared for the classes that I’ve skipped, missed out on important notes that could be used for future tests and never turned in my homework on time. I had to take time to myself and figure out where I went wrong. I started putting everything in front of school such as work, hanging out, posting on social media, etc. I transitioned my focus from school to other parts in my life I wasn’t even prepared for. After talking with my teacher and close friends about my situation, I came to the conclusion that I had to cancel everything that wasn’t helping me become a better student. I will tell you my story because I don’t want any other students going down the wrong path. It’s OK to hang out, find a job, even just chill in your room, but school must always come first before anything. 

We are all here to prepare for our future careers. College education is our job, and we’re losing money for each time we are not taking it seriously. It’s OK to ask for help; you don’t have to go through anything alone. 

Along with school, you must also put yourself first. A friend may need help on an assignment they have no clue on how to do it, or a significant other wants to talk on the phone with you; but it is important to make sure that everything you have to get done is completed.

Rayshaun Stevens is a freshman journalism and political science major.

He can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].