EIU Wind Symphony to perform Veteran’s Day salute

Hannah Shillo, Associate News Editor

Veterans and active military members will be celebrated by the EIU Wind Symphony Friday at 7:30 p.m. in the Dvorak Concert Hall of the Doudna Fine Arts Center.

The annual Veteran’s Day concert is called “Call to Duty: A Veteran’s Day Salute” and is open to the public.

Tickets can be purchased in the box office in Doudna or online at www.eiu.edu/doudna and are $13 each for general admission, $11 each for seniors aged 62 and older and $5 each for students.

Veterans and active military members will be admitted to the show for free.

As part of Doudna’s ongoing special ticket promotion for the 2019-2020 performance year, the first 50 students who bring their Panther Cards to the box office will receive a complimentary ticket to the performance.

The box office will be open Friday from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and again at 6:30 p.m.

Dan Crews, director of programming, publicity and promotions at Doudna, said in a press release that the concert will present a variety of music including Francis Scott Key’s “The Star Spangled Banner,” William Schuman’s “Chester Overture for Band,” Frank Ticheli’s “An American Elegy” and the “Armed Forces Salute.”

During the “Armed Forces Salute” performance, the symphony will play service songs from each of the military branches.

Crews said in the press release that during the performance, veterans will be asked to stand when their song is played.

Alicia Neal, director of bands, will conduct the EIU Wind Symphony, according to the press release.

Crews said David Boggs, assistant director of bands, will guest conduct Robert W. Smith’s “American Flourish.”

Cameron Craig, professor laureate, will also play a part in the performance as a narrator during Harold Walter’s “Duty, Honor, Country,” the press release said.

Actor Andrew Edlin is set to make an appearance as Winston Churchill and read to the audience.

Edlin will be on campus for the Call to Duty concert and for his own performance on Saturday at 7:30 p.m. in the Black Box Theatre of Doudna.

Edlin wrote “Churchill – A One Man Play” and will perform as the former prime minister of Great Britain.

As one of Doudna’s premiere performances, tickets for the performance Saturday will be sold for $20 to the general public, $15 for Eastern employees and seniors aged 62 and older and $10 for students.

Hannah Shillo can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].