Eastern needs more school spirit

Dillan Schorfheide, Assistant Sports Editor

There is a lot of hypocrisy within the student body at Eastern that I want to address.

Doing so at the end of the year may seem like a lost cause, since a lot of students are graduating or may be transferring.

But this is something that needs to be said because it, I think, has serious implications for the future of Eastern.

I already addressed this last week, but I will bring it up now to help prove my point.

Students have complained about the spring concert the last two years, and I can see why.

Fetty Wap and lovelytheband were not the talents people expected or wanted, apparently.

That is fine, but the student population needs to start voicing its opinion early about what kind of music, or comedy show even, it wants.

At the same time, the survey for the talents was not sent out to a lot of students (students have said they did not know there was a survey), so that is part of the issue.

There are other limitations as to who the spring concert talent can be, but I digress.

I have heard students wonder why other schools can have such great parties and have such great school spirit.

Well, this student population is not the most active, and by that I mean students do not go to many events, from what I have seen.

I have talked to athletes who wish more students would come out to their games. I have heard members of Greek Life say that numbers are down considerably for many of the chapters.

It is hard to get numbers up for anything when overall enrollment is still not growing that much, so that is understandable.

But I still think we need to show more support for Eastern.

College is the time to grow as individuals and to have great experiences.

Why not show some love for the school we are spending one of the most important times of our lives at?

None of us can make it to every single event that every single organization is holding, but we can spread the word around to friends. Post posters on your social media to show you care.

I have not always done this, I will admit, but we can all make the school spirit better here at Eastern.

We can make it so that students at other schools look at us and wonder how they can show the same energy we show.

So, for the rest of this semester and next year, we should all be more engaged with our campus and our school spirit.

Plus, if high school students questioning if they should come here see the amount of school spirit and energy we have, more students may be attracted here.

Just, please, start showing your pride for this school. It will help all of us.

Dillan Schorfheide is a junior journalism major. He can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].