Thank you to everyone who voted

Kate Rehwinkel, Columnist

Thank goodness, November 6 is done and over with, and I could not be more thrilled.

I am thankful to have my ads on Spotify and Hulu not be sponsored by JB Pritzker or Bruce Rauner anymore. Now, pointless ads are back and running, and I have missed them more than I realized.

I have nothing against political ads, but I do not like the trash-talking that each party does toward one another because they disagree on many hot topics.

I wish political parties were more civil toward each other and actually tried to get stuff done in the government. Instead, all they do is argue and never pass anything unless the government is run by a majority of one party.

On November 6 I was glad to see all the I Voted stickers on people’s clothes. I was not able to wear a sticker, because I voted by absentee ballot and apparently whoever runs that office didn’t feel the need to give me a sticker in the envelope. Every single time I have voted absentee ballot or in person I have not gotten a sticker, so currently I have a three-sticker deficit.

I plan on getting my three stickers the next time I go to the polls. I love stickers in general, but this is the ultimate sticker that says I voiced my opinion and I want to make America a better place.

Some things about voting day were a buzzkill. I heard a bunch of people saying they did not want to vote or did not want to drive an hour home to vote. Voting is a privilege that we have, and there are many people in America who are not able to vote who want that privilege, and it breaks my heart when people do not take it seriously.

Another thing that made the day a little less good was a girl who made a rude comment toward my friend and me. A guy was driving a golf cart taking people to the polls on campus when one girl on the cart looked at us and said “cause I know y’all two are too lazy to walk.” I looked at her, shocked, and told her I already voted and to not say rude comments like that. My friend and I just stood there shocked as they drove away, and then we laughed. I was offended, but it’s not the rudest thing someone has told me.

We have another two years left before we can vote again for president. I encourage everyone who has not yet registered to vote to get it done before then, because voting is not only our right; it is our civic duty.

Kate Rehwinkel is a senior management major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or

[email protected].