City Council approves 7 items

Corryn Brock | The Daily Eastern News Maggie Burkhead (right), Director of TRIO and Student Support Service, speaks to the Charleston City Council about upcoming events for first generation students on campus. This will be the second year Eastern celebrates students who’s parents did not recieve a bachelors degree.

Corryn Brock, Associate News Editor

Charleston City Council heard three announcements from the Eastern community and approved all seven action items on their budget Tuesday night.

Olivia Meents represented Student Government’s University Enhancements Committee as well as the non-Student Government affiliated Tree Campus Committee and spoke to the city council about upcoming events.

She also spoke on the plans to implement a student mentor program with Charleston High School and their goal to work with local restaurants for student discounts for students who provide their Panther Cards while in attendance.

Sarah Dodoo spoke on behalf of the international students at Eastern to thank the mayor and council for naming the week of Nov. 9-15 Eastern Illinois University International Education Week.

Maggie Burkhead, Director of TRiO and Student Support Services, spoke to the council to inform them of the 1st Generation Student Luncheon.

Corryn Brock can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].