Campus community takes advantage of early voting

Daniel Jones, Contributing Writer

Registered voters have the opportunity to vote early. They have until Oct. 29 to register in person, and until Oct. 21 to register online.

The offices up for election include: Governor/Lt. Governor, Attorney General, Secretary of State, State Comptroller, State Treasurer, Rep. In Congress 15th District, State Representative 110th District, Judge/Judge Retention, County Clerk and Recorder, County Treasurer, County Sheriff, and County Board Members in Districts 3, 4, 6, 7,9 and 10.

Melinda Mueller, the political science department chair, said she supports early voting.

“The more we can encourage voter turnout, the better,” Mueller said.

Logan Klepzig, the president of the Political Science Association said he also believes that early voting is highly important.

“It is important because it gives many people a chance to vote,” he said. “There are many people who do not vote and claim the opportunity is scarce. With voting starting 40 days early, it gives people the chance to go out and vote.”

Klepzig also believes that student voting in Charleston is important and will make a huge impact in the town.

“I believe it is important for every demographic, especially students,” he said. “Millennials are the greatest demographic but have the lowest turnout.”

He said that individually, students may not have an impact, but if enough students band together to vote, it would make a change.

“Charleston is conservative, but if enough students vote, a change can be made,” he said.

The Political Science Association will be holding a voter registration drive in the drive Tuesday in the Bridge Lounge from 11 a.m to 3 p.m. for anyone interested in registering to vote.

Daniel Jones can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].