Piano trio to play at Doudna

Mercury Bowen, Staff Reporter

The Grammy-nominated musical group The Lincoln Trio will perform at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Recital Hall at the Doudna Fine Arts Center.

The Chicago-based piano trio consists of pianist Marta Aznavoorian, cellist David Cunliffe and violinist Desirée Ruhstrat.

Tickets for the performance will be $7.

Much of the music the group will be performing will be in honor of Latino Heritage Month.

“The music will have a very definite Latin American and Spanish feel to it,” Cunliffe said. “I think people will really enjoy that.”

Some of the pieces the trio will be performing will be music by Argentine tango composer Astor Piazzolla as well as some by Spanish composer Joaquín Turina.

“They’re basically tangos, modern tangos,” Cunliffe said of Piazzolla’s music. “It’s a very Argentinian idiom.”

The group is especially looking forward to the program they will be performing, Cunliffe said.

“It is very favorite music for us to play,” Cunliffe said. “It is in our repertoire, and we play it a lot.”

Cunliffe said he hopes attendees will see the performance as a chance to hear music that they may have never heard before.

“I think (attendees) will find it very approachable,” Cunliffe said. “There are a lot of very, very beautiful melodies.”

Dan Crews, the director of programing for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, said he thinks students will be surprised at how much they enjoy the concert.

“They’ll really get caught up in not only what’s happening on stage, but in the quality of music, and I think they’ll be just entranced by what they hear,” Crews said.

According to Crews, it was The Lincoln Trio’s reputation as a first-class musical group that drew him to suggest that the group perform at the Doudna.

“Classical music is one of the things that we have a large audience that enjoys seeing those kind of performances,” Crews said. “The performance is going to take place in the Recital Hall, so that’s going to be a really intimate place to see this chamber group.”

Having heard the group perform before, Crews said he is looking forward to hearing them again.

“There’s something that is just absolutely enchanting in the attraction to that kind of music,” Crews said. “It’s one of those things where once you hear it you’re just kind of drawn to it, and (The Lincoln Trio’s) performance ability is just phenomenal.”

Mercury Bowen can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].