Families can create art at Tarble Arts Extravaganza

Karena Ozier, Staff Reporter

The Tarble Arts Center is hosting their annual Tarble Arts Extravaganza alongside Family Weekend on Saturday, starting at 1 p.m. in Tarble’s atrium.

Riley Snyder, a student worker at Tarble, said three activities will be available at Tarble for students and their families to engage with. Model printing (a type of printmaking), button making and kite making will all be available to those who come to the event.

Tim Abel, the museum education manager said, “We are going to have lots of art making. We are going to kind of show off our big classroom space and hopefully, if the weather is nice, we will do art making out on the tables as well.”

Everyone who plans to attend Family Weekend events is welcome to participate in the event at Tarble.

Families are also welcome to write on a sticky note with what they feel empowered by near the permanent gallery in Tarble. “’I feel empowered by…’ is our slogan right now,” said Abel.

Those interested in viewing Tarble’s current exhibit, “In the Eye of the Beholder,” may do so on Saturday and Sunday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

According to the Tarble Times, the exhibit features work from female artists from 1968 to the present with diverse artistic practices. Works in the exhibit are from different artists, such as Judy Chicago, Bethany Collins, Jenny Holzer and Yoko Ono, with Ono’s work being interactive.

Snyder said he believes the Extravaganza is important for families to attend for bonding time during Family Weekend.

“The event is taking place so that families have a way to bond further with their student here at EIU,” Snyder said. “When you create something with someone else, not only are you creating art, but you’re creating a bond. It’s a lot like food, in a way that art brings people together.”

Refreshments will be available for those in attendance, including “kid-friendly” refreshments.

Karena Ozier can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].