FUNfest to include family activities

Logan Raschke, Staff Reporter

Family Weekend FUNfest will take place from 7 p.m. until 11 p.m. on Saturday at the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union, and it is free for everyone to attend.

According to the official 2018 Family Weekend schedule and highlights, Family FUNfest is a great way for students and their families to create lasting memories at Eastern because it has so many different events anyone can enjoy.

“Family FUNfest features a family atmosphere that includes creation stations, movies, inter-active games, giveaways and refreshments showcased throughout (the Union),” according to the official schedule and highlights. “(Highlights of family FUNfest include) a virtual reality pod, bumper cars, laser tag, Build-a-Bear, sand art, airbrush and caricature artists, an escape room, carnival games and prizes, a ‘giant’ bean bag toss and double shot basketball games, a funny money booth, a kid’s corner featuring mini-pumpkin painting, coloring, cookie-decorating and button-making stations, movie night (showing) Incredibles 2 and ‘discount’ bowling and billiards.”

Beth Dunahee, assistant director for new student and family programs, said she expects the Union to be full with excited students, children and families during family FUNfest.

“Technically (family FUNfest) is spread out between the Grand Ballroom, the University Ballroom, the bridge lounge and pretty much everywhere else in the Union,” she said.

Dunahee said the creation stations are great for students and families, especially families with children, who like to create art.

“(There are) different activities like face painting, sound art and coloring,” she said.

Dunahee said attending family FUNfest during family weekend is great for students living away from home to get together with their families and enjoy themselves.

Attending family FUNfest during family weekend can also help families adjusting to living separately from their children who now attend Eastern, she said.

Even if family members cannot make it to family weekend, all students are still encouraged to attend, she said.

“I always went with friends,” she said. “It was always fun.”

Logan Raschke can be reached at 581-2812 or at l[email protected].