Women’s golf team in last place in tournament

Oscar Rzodkiewicz, Golf Reporter

The Eastern’s women’s golf team began its season Monday at the two-day Northern Kentucky Fall Classic tournament, ranking last out of the 13 invited schools at +92 after two rounds.

On the par-71 Elks Run Golf Club, senior Daphne Chang led the way for Eastern with a first-round stroke total of 77 followed by a 74-stroke second-round to finish 9-over-par overall, tied for 14th among the field.

In her first season with the Panthers after transferring, Chang proved herself as a leader last season after ending the year with a team-best 79.25 stroke average over 20 rounds.

Chang was named to the All-Ohio Valley Conference Newcomer team in 2017.

Freshman Monique Peterson finished second for Eastern in the first day with an 83-stroke tally in both rounds for a +24 total on the day.

Peterson was slotted as the third seed for Eastern in her first contest for the blue and gray, but Peterson narrowly outplayed returning senior Katlyn Hasprey.

Hasprey recorded a 84-stroke first round and an 86 in round two, ending the day +28.

Though she ranks 72nd individually in the tournament, both of Hasprey’s rounds were improvements over her 91.35 stroke average last season for the Panthers.

Hasprey’s 2017-18 campaign included a top-25 finish in the Butler Bulldog Florida Invite.

Clocking in fourth for Eastern was sophomore Mckenzie O’Brien with a two-round 177 stroke total after a team-high 94 in round two.

As a freshman last season, O’Brien competed in each of the team’s nine events, recording a 90.15 stroke total.

Rounding out the Panthers team, sophomore Sara Guetersloh posted a 181-stroke total through 36 holes, a +39 mark.

Guetersloh played in only seven events last year for Eastern with a 93.94 stroke average.

Freshman Bailey Sharpmack also competed in the tournament, though her score did not count toward the team total.

Sharpmack finished +33 after a 175 day-one total.

Cincinnati led the tournament early and held steady throughout the day, with each member of the team posting sub-156 stroke totals through 36 holes.

Sophomore Vanessa Manrique opened her year on a high note for the Bearcats, finishing ranked 1st with 140 strokes on the day, good for 3-under-par.

The tournament ends tomorrow with one final 18-hole round for the women.  

Eastern’s next event, the Austin Peay F&M Bank Intercollegiate, takes place Oct. 1 and 2 at Clarksville Country Club in Tennessee.

Oscar Rzodkiewicz can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]